PDA

View Full Version : KV vs Accuride vs ?? (Drawer Slides)

Dan Case LR
11-24-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm planning some shop storage and need some good 100lb full-extension (with overtravel) slides. The drawers are about 20" wide, 21" deep and varying heights, and I need to use a 20" slide because I don't have enough clearance for a 22" (thus the need for the extra inch of overtravel).

I'm looking at Accuride 3834 and Knape-Vogt KV8405 as options. I've never used either of the above, so I'm looking for hands-on opinions on which will give me the best results (silky smooth, long life, no regrets). The one thing that makes me lean toward KV is that their slide is rated for drawers up to 24" wide, while the Accuride is rated for up to 16" wide (although I know the Accuride are frequently used for wider drawers). I also like buying American, but only if the product is superior (why reward an American company for making low-quality goods?)

Opinions? Thoughts? Suggestions? Other options are welcome.

Thanks!

D.

Larry Frank
11-24-2012, 9:17 PM
I built about 25 full extension drawers in my shop about a year ago and got the slides from Woodworkers Hardware. I paid about $6-7 per set and am still happy with them. My drawers were about 6" high, 21" wide and 22" deep. I looked at the over travel version and it was at least twice as much. I am glad that I did not go that route as I can reach everything in my drawers.

Sam Murdoch
11-24-2012, 11:08 PM
I have been reluctant to respond because I set my mind that Accurides are better than KVs about 20 years ago. In those days KVs were rickity things and could not compare to Accurides. For side mount drawers I have always used Accurides with no compromise. Yes, the testing is based on 18" lengths on 16" wide drawers but I have used the 3832 and 3834 in many wider applications with no problems. The full extension +1" 3834s are only rated for 90lbs compared to the 3832s which have no over travel and are rated for 100lbs. In any case 90lbs is a lot of weight that the Accurides handle very easily. If you want more assurance you can upgrade to the Accuride 500 lbs capacity slides or the Grant 3830 but those do not have the + 1" extension.

I can't write about the KVs though I am sure that others will have good things to say about them since we are now at the end of 2012. I bet they have improved.

Jim Andrew
11-24-2012, 11:40 PM
You might check to see if you have a local cabinet shop supplier. I have ordered guides from Liberty Hardwoods of KCMO. The guides they handle are dirt cheap, but compare to blum. I buy them by the box.

Jim Neeley
11-25-2012, 1:23 AM
I've used several dozen KV8405 in 16-28" lengths for drawers and tool shelving in my shop. The oldest one is only about 5 years old however I load them heavy and all of my tool drawers/shelves are on casters and get moved around quite a bit so get a bit more load than most.

I've found them very easy to install, I like the drawer/guide attachment mechanism and they roll smoothly. My only "criticism" is that they are tall, so wouldn't work for shallow drawers. I double-quote it because it hasn't mattered on rolling shelves and I haven't needed the massive rating for shallow tool drawers. YMMV...

Todd Burch
11-25-2012, 1:38 AM
I use KVs all the time - I keep several boxes of them out in the shop. The only reason they have not performed to 100% for me is my fault, when I don't size the drawer properly. Too wide a drawer is the worst sin, as the slides can be shimmed out when the drawer is too skinny. When drawers are too wide, the drawers drag a little. Again - no fault of the slide.

Note that the full rating applies when you use machine screws and captured (like inserted) nuts.

I'm sure either would work fine for you.

Jim Andrew
11-25-2012, 7:59 AM
Todd, if your drawers are too tight, easy fix! Just set your table saw blade the height of the slide installed on your drawer side, set the width to the size you need and run the drawer through your table saw. Reinstall the drawer slide and it will work perfectly in your cabinet.

Todd Burch
11-25-2012, 8:06 AM
Yes, that would be a fix, for sure!

Mark Wooden
11-25-2012, 8:21 AM
Either work fine, it will come down to price

Paul Kinneberg
11-25-2012, 11:51 AM
I have used kv slides for ten years never an issue. I order most of my hardware including all the slides from woodworkers hardware.com

Dan Case LR
11-25-2012, 5:37 PM
Thanks for your input, all. I think I'll go with the KV, both because they're quality slides made in USA, and because they appear to be a little stronger all around. Stronger is always good. :)

D.