PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday, Blue Pine

Doug Herzberg
11-24-2012, 10:27 AM
While the ladies were out standing in line to hand over the family fortune to their favorite retailers, I found a little shop time. I know I'm turning into Johnny-one-note here, but I have a lot of this wood and it's cluttering up my refrigerator kiln. The rim is about 1/2 inch and undercut so the sides taper down to about 3/16. Just one coat of Watco DO so far, but I'm thinking about a satin WOP. I may give this one to the Small family, who gave me the beetle killed tree.

Ponderosa Pine, about 12" x 4-1/2". C&C appreciated. Apologies if I stole any elements of the form - I've looked at so many images I really can't remember.

Dick Mahany
11-24-2012, 10:40 AM
You sure achieve a nice finish on pine. For a moment, I thought the last pic had curl from the appearance. Although I prefer working with other woods, I found that pine was actually an excellent material for me to practice and learn wwith because it taught me how sensitive cutting angle and tool presentation are in order to achieve finer levels of finish off the lathe. Nice work and that coloring variation is amazing.

Jim Burr
11-24-2012, 11:13 AM
That's a great size Doug!! Pine should not look that good...I like the satin finish idea.

Bernie Weishapl
11-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Really nice Doug. Color of the wood looks great.

Mark Hubl
11-24-2012, 11:12 PM
I like this form. The outside really looks great. Think it could be a tad thinner, but that is the goofy turner in me.

Curt Fuller
11-25-2012, 12:04 AM
I've turned a little Ponderosa myself and I like the grain in it. But this piece with heavy blue coloring is spectacular. What are you doing to control the sap and pitch? That's been my biggest drawback in turning more of it. That's a real beauty Doug!

Doug Herzberg
11-25-2012, 7:29 AM
What are you doing to control the sap and pitch? That's been my biggest drawback in turning more of it.

Curt, I just haven't seen much pitch. I just put a new overlay on my face shield and I didn't get anything on it or the ways or the window behind the lathe. There was one piece, a branch collar, which had a lot in the branch part. We've been in drought for quite awhile and the trees are really stressed. Also, I've only worked with beetle killed trees, so have never harvested any healthy specimens. This one was cut shortly after it started showing signs of infestation. It was late summer, so the sap should have been up, but as I roughed the blanks, it seemed more watery than pitchy.

Steve Schlumpf
11-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Really good looking bowl! I like the form and you did a great job on the finish! The Small family will love this!

Rick Markham
11-25-2012, 12:42 PM
This is a super bowl, really sweet curve on it, and the foot blends nicely with it!

Baxter Smith
11-25-2012, 9:38 PM
Nice curve and very pretty wood Doug.

Eric Gourieux
11-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Doug,
Nice bowl and form. The colors are great. I've been weighing the piece you sent me, and it's almost dry. How much do you think your kiln speeds up the drying process? Does it help with reducing splitting?

Doug Herzberg
11-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Doug,
Nice bowl and form. The colors are great. I've been weighing the piece you sent me, and it's almost dry. How much do you think your kiln speeds up the drying process? Does it help with reducing splitting?

Hey Eric. I anchor sealed everything and threw it in the fridge, which only has a light bulb controlled by a thermostat keeping it between 70 & 80 F, and some small vents. I first weighed this one on 9/27 and it stopped losing weight about two weeks ago. Moisture content was 10 - 14% depending on where I tested. I thought that was pretty fast. I haven't lost any roughed bowls, but two solid chunks I threw in split badly. Bad move, I guess.

I didn't keep any pine in bags, but some red maple I cut up about the same time isn't ready yet. I guess that's not much of an answer - different wood, some not rough turned, apples and oranges. Not enough data, no control group.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I was pretty pleased with the curve and finish but my wife, who is usually very supportive and likes much of what I do, even when it's really bad, just hates the rim. Too wide, makes the whole thing look clunky. Can't give it to the Smalls - we could never show our faces again at the neighborhood parties. I showed her some of your postings with wider rims and she quickly pointed out that I got the wrong angle, making the whole thing look thick. I think she's right. Lucky I have more wood.

Roger Chandler
11-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Just in case you have not figured it out yet, Doug.....keep the Mrs. happy, and you will be happy too.....sounds like you already figured it out, however! :D Nice work on the bowl....even if the rim is not to her tastes....;)

Eric Gourieux
11-25-2012, 11:29 PM
From the "for what it's worth" department, the piece you sent me is ready to turn. It hasn't changed weight in the past week. I rough turned it on 9/27 and it weighed just under 20g. The walls are about 1/2" thick. Didn't check the moisture content before or after. I gave it a soaking of Pentacryl like I do with the NIP pieces I make and sealed it in a paper bag.

My guess is that your "kiln" makes the drying process more predictable in the controlled environment.

Doug Herzberg
11-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Just in case you have not figured it out yet, Doug.....keep the Mrs. happy, and you will be happy too.....sounds like you already figured it out, however! :D ;)

The secret to a long and prosperous life.

Doug Herzberg
11-25-2012, 11:55 PM
From the "for what it's worth" department, the piece you sent me is ready to turn. It hasn't changed weight in the past week. I rough turned it on 9/27 and it weighed just under 20g. The walls are about 1/2" thick. Didn't check the moisture content before or after. I gave it a soaking of Pentacryl like I do with the NIP pieces I make and sealed it in a paper bag.

My guess is that your "kiln" makes the drying process more predictable in the controlled environment.

Useful information. Thanks. My bowl walls are more like 1" because of the larger diameter. I put a cheap hygrometer in the "kiln" a few weeks ago. Humidity is as high as 75% in there sometimes. From what I've read, I need to install a fan to exhaust some of that moisture.

I looked at Pentacryl after you mentioned it before. Decided to wait for a sale, but it looks like a useful product.

I still have some of that pine outside. I think I've lost most of it to checking. I got a bigger chainsaw, but too late to save it. I did put several pieces in horse tanks filled with water after someone mentioned that as a way to keep wood from drying too fast. They had already started to check, though, so I don't know if any can be salvaged. If I don't do something soon, they'll be in horse tanks full of ice. The Smalls still have the rest of the tree in their pasture across the street with the bark still on. That may have protected some of it.

Hope your HF turns out well.