PDA

View Full Version : Statutory Grape!!!

Rick Markham
11-24-2012, 6:09 AM
Statutory Grape: 10" tall (with finial), 3.5" in diameter. Transtint dyes (using my super secret process), Woodturners finish on form and Blackwood cap, American Holly finial. This is one of four forms in a small series I've called the "Candy Colors" I hope you enjoy! C&C welcomed and appreciated! Thank you for looking.

Michael Mezalick
11-24-2012, 6:27 AM
Lovely work!
Michael

Roger Chandler
11-24-2012, 7:28 AM
That is an eye catcher, Rick.........nice work!!! Good form and a different finial.......not in the Drozda style, but the features all blend nicely!

Bob Rotche
11-24-2012, 8:08 AM
Looks great, Rick! Can't wait till your ready to release your "super secret process"!

Mike Cruz
11-24-2012, 8:13 AM
Rick, I have to start by saying the title is very clever... ;) The curves look nice, though the bottom looks a little "fat" to me. Not sure if it is a matter of its relationship to the opening, but it just looks a little big. The wood is great. The color is nice (if you like color :p ). The finish looks very well done, too. Not sure why, but the finial is too...stark for this turning. Maybe because of the color. Maybe because of the blackwood cap. Just not sure...just doesn't seem to flow for me. GREAT detail on the finial, though again something doesn't seem to flow to my eye...maybe because the form and cap are all rounded, yet the finial is very angular.

Take this for what it is, Mark... C&C from someone with less skill than you. ;)

Bernie Weishapl
11-24-2012, 8:50 AM
Really nice piece Rick and love the color.

Greg Just
11-24-2012, 9:03 AM
Very nice - love the color. Thanks for sharing and look forward to more!

Peter Blair
11-24-2012, 9:29 AM
Another wonder!

Just love the depth of finish and color, your photography is awe inspiring as well. I too find the finial a little too angular for my eye it is cool but for some reason just doesn't feel right to me.

By the way with the pipes you have been showing I was wondering where you were storing your Kobra, but now I see continues to be utilized.

Nate Davey
11-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Beautiful Rick. The form and color are sweet and I like your take on the finial. Kind of modern.

Doug W Swanson
11-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Love it! Great job, Rick!

Dick Mahany
11-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Love the form, finish and COLOR ! Takes me back (waay back) to when I sprayed a super multi layer "Plum Crazy" lacquer paint job on a VW bug. Someting about purple I find cool.

As typical, beautiful job overall and keep going with your secret recipe on the coloring!!

Dave Mueller
11-24-2012, 1:45 PM
Rick,
I'm sorta with Mike about the base and finial, although it is really just a personal preference, not so much a critique. The finish and coloring are outstanding - I'd bet the picture does not do it justice. When are you going to "disclose" your secret formula for coloring? Clearly it is something special...

Great piece.

wes murphy
11-24-2012, 2:23 PM
very nice, Rick

Kathy Marshall
11-24-2012, 2:35 PM
Beautiful piece Rick! The depth of color is amazing!

Rick Markham
11-24-2012, 2:51 PM
Thanks everyone! I figured I'd let y'all comment before I nitpicked myself. 1. The finial isn't my favorite, but I was trying to do something different, with this series I decided to change the concept a bit, I wanted all of the elements to work together, and to be apart of each other, yet be distinctly separate in form from each other. Whether it works or not is really up to the viewer. While the art deco finial isn't my favorite, I probably will revisit it in the future, I do like the impact of the form of the Holly finial traveling through the blackwood cap, and that theme is revisited in the other pieces in this series.

I too agree that the base is a bit hefty for this form, (the other "tall" piece of this series also has this) It is far less obvious with the oversized cap on the piece. It seems to help the proportions a bit. I started this series with one of the goals being to attempt to produce some pieces with larger bases, I tend to favor the tiny little bases. While I agree it doesn't work as well as a small base would in these tall skinny pieces, it does work in the two short fatter pieces (you will have to be patient, I'm saving the best for last :D)

Thanks again everyone for you comments!

Mike Cruz
11-24-2012, 3:07 PM
Rick, I just want to be clear... You asked for C&C, that's what I gave. By all means, I wasn't criticizing the piece as if were a bad turning. Again, you did a great job with the color, finish, and curves. I DO like the finial, I just don't think it fits this piece. And again, I'm no expert, so these are just my opinions... I think you did a great job on it. I just don't think "great job" without any constructive comments help...especially when you ask for C&C.

Rick Markham
11-24-2012, 3:20 PM
Rick, I just want to be clear... You asked for C&C, that's what I gave. By all means, I wasn't criticizing the piece as if were a bad turning. Again, you did a great job with the color, finish, and curves. I DO like the finial, I just don't think it fits this piece. And again, I'm no expert, so these are just my opinions... I think you did a great job on it. I just don't think "great job" without any constructive comments help...especially when you ask for C&C.

Mike, I totally agree with you :p Which is why I like you! LOL, I am appreciative of your take on it, and I'm glad you piped up! I just happen to agree with you... If only you knew how tired I am of making finials for this piece LOL

David DeCristoforo
11-24-2012, 3:26 PM
When I was a kid, I liked to make model cars and the first one I entered in a show was almost exactly this color. It looks great on a 1940 Ford tudor! Your finial has a very Art Deco feel to it while the form itself has a kind of 50's Buck Rogers rocket shape. That, combined with the contrast in color with the body of the piece might be why it seems like it does not quite fit. I am finding that the perception of the size of the base is effected by how hard or soft the bottom edge is. Forms like this that are firmly planted on the surface can look "fat" if the bottom of the form is larger than the opening or the lid.

As I was writing this, you posted the blue one. That is a much more refined form but I like the finial on this one better.

Rick Markham
11-24-2012, 3:36 PM
Yes I think these tall skinny ones fall into the tuck don't tuck category... I didn't tuck, when I should have! I'm always zigging when I should have zagged :D

The blue finial I am even less fond of... I believe that's the fifth or sixth one that has been on it :eek:

Steve Schlumpf
11-24-2012, 4:46 PM
Rick - great job on the color! Looks to be about 1" deep and we know how hard depth is to capture with a photo - so seeing this in person must be something else!

I agree with the comments about the bottom of the form being rolled slightly and also that the finial - while very nice doesn't quite fit with the overall form. I understand creating contrast between elements but in this case I feel the black collar is what throws everything off. If the collar had been a cove... leading up to the art-deco finial, I think it would have been a better flow. Just my opinion.

Baxter Smith
11-24-2012, 4:54 PM
Quite the eyecatcher Rick. Although I am more of a blue fan, I like the shape and whiteness of the holly on this one a bit better. I don't have much imagination so often find it difficult to appreciate three colors in a turning. Since the collar is black and doesn't seem to flow into either whats above or below, it kind of interrupts my appreciation of the whole thing.(for lack of a better thought)

Rick Markham
11-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks! I think the three colors worked better in my head. These have definitely been the most challenging pieces design wise for me, as usually I don't design, I just fly by the seat of my pants.

Baxter, I believe I actually made at least 8 blackwood caps for these 4 turnings (at least 4 of which were for the blue one) simply due to the shape, I'd get the fit just right on the form, I'd go to pop it off of the form and it would shoot right out the palm of my hand, inevitably landing on it's edge on the hard tile floor... breaking. So needless to say, I'm tired of making this shape of lids too :D. So there is little chance that y'all will have to endure too many more than the current 4 pieces. Carry on gentleman! Keep it coming!

Mark Hubl
11-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Form is great, purple is so Prince. I like the diff finial, yours, and that is good. Not every finial has to have an onion. The contrast is a bit much, again, if the collar was holly I think all good. I just think the three colors breaks it up a bit too much, the collar really does not need to say look at me, the form and the finial are doing the dance. Love what you are doing with color, keep experimenting and showing us the results.

P.S. Like the finials on these Rick, looking at them again I see a bunch of art deco in them, is that just happen stance or is that something that influences your work?

Dah, now that I went back and finished reading your comments you already answered my question.