PDA

View Full Version : Another plywood ornament

Curt Fuller
11-24-2012, 12:55 AM
I was cutting plywood segments for this type ornament http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?194443-Plywood-Christmas-Ornament&p=2007084&highlight=#post2007084 and decided to try turning the plywood strips on the flat side and cut some to see how it would look. Well, I guess I wasn't thinking because when you cut them that way you end up with about the same look as if you didn't cut the wood at all, just flat plywood with a bunch of glue joints. But I decided to make an ornament from it anyway using all plywood. I had never tried to turn plywood as a spindle but it actually turned easier than I thought it wood. It didn't turn out real pretty but you might not ever see another one like it.: Rolleyes:: Rolleyes:

Brent VanFossen
11-24-2012, 3:13 AM
Actually, I quite like it. And I'm surprised you were able to hold good detail in the plywood.

Roger Chandler
11-24-2012, 8:06 AM
Curt......some things just need to be done........just to show they can be! This is a nifty little ornament.......I like it, even though it is not the prettiest I have come across, but it is a neat deal, nonetheless. Glad you took on the challenge....one question....is this birch ply? I ask because in the pics the glue between the laminations appear to be black in color......most I have seen is brown..........perhaps the finish darkened it?

Tom Winship
11-24-2012, 8:28 AM
Curt, I really like this!

Bernie Weishapl
11-24-2012, 8:45 AM
I like it Curt. Great detail.

Doug W Swanson
11-24-2012, 10:20 AM
I think it turned out nice, Curt. One possible improvement would be to the globe. Instead of having all the colors in line, it might be better if they alternated. Just a thought...

James Combs
11-24-2012, 10:47 AM
I like it. If the pic is any indication it is pretty. Plywood makes some great looking segmented items. A couple of questions, is it from 3 separate pieces with a hollow center or just one stack of plywood?

Jim Burr
11-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Nuthin' wrong with that Curt...good way to make scraps look good!

BILL DONAHUE
11-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Outstanding! A very interesting and beautiful ornament. That too could have won the AAW's contest.

Jamie Donaldson
11-24-2012, 6:14 PM
These plywood ornaments are so cool Curt, but Roger had the same question as I- what type of plywood has such nicely contrasting colors?

Mark Hubl
11-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Man, another nice one.

Curt Fuller
11-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Thanks everyone!

....one question....is this birch ply? I ask because in the pics the glue between the laminations appear to be black in color......most I have seen is brown..........perhaps the finish darkened it?

Yes Roger and Jamie, it's birch plywood. It's actually two strips of 1/2 plywood glued together. The glue in it is pretty dark but it's dark brown more than black. The lacquer finish or my photography may be what is making it look black. It's some pretty high grade plywood, at least compared to fir plywood, probably cabinet grade stuff.

James, the ornament is hollowed and it's made in three sections, the finial, ball, and icicle. I drill the ball with a 1/2" forstner bit and then hollow with a homemade allen wrench hollower. Then I size the tenons for the finial and icicle with a 1/2" open end wrench and they snap right in with a little dab of wood glue. Here's an old post with some instructions. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?98860-Quickie-Ornament-Instructions A little different glue up but the same basic idea....I use a 1/2 hole on them now because I think they look better with a smaller diameter finial and icicle.

Steve Schlumpf
11-25-2012, 12:21 PM
I like this just because it is so different! You really have the forms of your ornaments down to a science! Very nice work - as always!