PDA

View Full Version : Compressor Advice for Air Assist?

JB Lynn
04-23-2005, 1:29 AM
Hello Everybody :)

New member with a new machine! Setting up a 2.5 year old 30X28 GCC 35Watt Explorer; most of our work will NOT require air assist but may need to run it for 30 minutes several times per week with assist. What brand/size/model compressor would you recommend? We need inexpensive and quiet! Must we use one with a small tank or is an oil-less, tankless hobby (i.e. air brush) compressor sufficient?

Thanks in advance for ANY experienced advice :)

JB Lynn

Mark Powell
04-23-2005, 2:14 AM
I run an Epilog 35W and started with the air brush compressor but had continuous trouble with water getting through the lines onto the work face. I persisted with this unit for some time while experimenting with inline water traps all to no avail.

I now use an electric belt driven compressor with holding tank but I still have the water traps in place as a backup.

Regards

Mark Powell

George M. Perzel
04-23-2005, 6:19 AM
Hi JB;
I have a 60 watt Mercury and use a Gast SPP-GJL-101 air compressor-very small, compact, quiet unit. Never had a problem with water or maintenance.
Good Luck
George

Jerry Allen
04-23-2005, 11:26 AM
I use a Harbor Freight air brush compressor with regulator and water collector. It's airless, quiet and inexpensive. Works great and I never see any water in the filter. Of course the humidity here is usually 25-30%.

Kevin Huffman
04-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Hello JB,
You can use any air compressor, just make sure it is oilless and waterless. I have a lot of customers who deciede not to purchase the one we sale, most of them get a airbrusher's compressor and they seem to work just fine.

Nick Adams
04-25-2005, 10:11 AM
I have been using the Gast compressor that came with my machine, However I have also used regular Compressed Air cyliders and they work well. Just set the regulator down to 15psi or so. They last a good while (20 pound tank.)

However for cost reasons we continue to use the gast compressor. I may run a air supply line in from the paint shop sometime. The 120 gallon tank out there would supply most likely leak off faster then I could depleate the supply.

Gast mfg. (http://www.gastmfg.com) for the Gast Series pumps.