PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton Marking Gauge 6’’ or 4’’

richard poitras
11-23-2012, 11:06 PM
For those that have this gauge or have seen them or used them which one is better or the best one to get and why? The only difference I can see is it size as the 4’’ marks up to 3" & the 6’’marks up to 4 5/8". The price is not a factor as its only $5.00 difference. So why would you buy a 4’’ instead of the 6’’ for $5.00 more?

Thanks Richard

richard poitras
11-24-2012, 9:06 PM
Any Hamilton Marking gauge people out there?

Steve Southwood
11-24-2012, 10:44 PM
I bought the 4" and should have gotten the 6". Like you say no real difference that I can tell except cutting distance. Great tool for sure.

Steve Friedman
11-24-2012, 10:48 PM
I have the 6" and am glad. Since I already had a Tite Marks, I thought I would have wanted the 4" to have a smaller gauge, but now think the 4" would have been too small (and I do not have large hands).

Love the gauge.

Steve

Matthew Hills
11-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Some people want 24" combination squares, others mostly use a 12", and some live by their 4" double squares.

I use the Hamilton or titemark-style gauges for marking across the grain, such as marking out the baseline for dovetails.
In this role, and especially if working with small workpieces, the smaller gauge is nice.
This is what I bought.

But, the 6" isn't an unreasonable size, and may be more versatile.

Matt

Jim Stewart
11-25-2012, 6:19 AM
I have the 4 and the 6! I use the 6 most of the time. I did see that he has a new gauge that is base on traditional gauges and it is built like his panel gauge. It has a two sided locking feature plus it locks against a radial side. Very firm. Have that one on my list. Jim

richard poitras
11-25-2012, 4:48 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
I am thinking the 6’’ is probably what I am going to tell Santa. (AKA the Wife)

Richard