PDA

View Full Version : Made a deal on a bandsaw today...

bob blakeborough
11-23-2012, 8:49 PM
So, a week ago I came across an add on Kijiji (our Canadian version of CL) where a fellow was looking to sell a General International Bandsaw model 90-240M1 that is in virtually new condition for $1200, or trade for tires for his truck. Well being the owner of a tire store, I figured this may be worth a look...

Anyways, I called the fellow up and it turns out he is not a woodworker, but instead did some work for a fellow on his house and the guy was short on cash and offered up his saw as partial payment. The guy figured why not since he wouldn't have had full payment otherwise. He has held onto it for about 6 months, never used it other than a test drive, and now needs tires so why not sell the saw.

I went by last weekend and checked it out. It is as close to new as something can be without being new. I did some test cuts, checked out the bearing etc and I couldn't find a fault. In the end, I made a deal with the fellow for a brand new set of tires for his truck that retail price including installation and taxes would be $1100.00. My cost on the tires would have been almost $700 and an hour of my labour. I ordered the tires from my distributor who happens to be a buddy, and I told him what I was doing so he gave me the tires for his dead cost (I do over a million dollars a year of there tires so that helps I think) so in the end, the tires cost me $568.00. The fellow came in today and delivered the saw with an extra resawing blade, fence, etc, and I put the tires on his truck deal done! I felt a bit guilty that I got such a good deal I also told the fellow that if he needs another set of tires one day that I would extend to him a cost deal just to sweeten it a bit more for him.

In the end, we both got exactly what we wanted, and I got a saw that sells for $1899.00 plus tax for less than $600.00 in minty shape, and he got almost his $1200.00 asking price in value, and will get a bit more down the road when he needs a new set of tires again...

Colour me happy!!!

Von Bickley
11-23-2012, 8:54 PM
Sounds good and everybody is happy.....

Bruce Page
11-23-2012, 8:57 PM
Nice score! You shouldn’t feel guilty. He’s happy, you’re happy, life is good!

Phil Thien
11-23-2012, 9:04 PM
I felt a bit guilty that I got such a good deal I also told the fellow that if he needs another set of tires one day that I would extend to him a cost deal just to sweeten it a bit more for him.

Nice saw.

I know I said it at [the other forum], but I really like the way you offered him another set of tires at cost, after the deal was already made.

I think that was a pretty classy move.

David Kumm
11-23-2012, 9:13 PM
I'm impressed- oh with the saw too. Dave

bob blakeborough
11-23-2012, 9:17 PM
Nice saw.

I know I said it at [the other forum], but I really like the way you offered him another set of tires at cost, after the deal was already made.

I think that was a pretty classy move.
I apprciate that, but honestly, I think it is simply the right thing to do. Too many people are only about taking the advantage for themselves, but if you are always looking to make things square for everyone, I think that gets payed forward and more people end up in a better spot all around in life...

Phil Thien
11-23-2012, 9:25 PM
I apprciate that, but honestly, I think it is simply the right thing to do. Too many people are only about taking the advantage for themselves, but if you are always looking to make things square for everyone, I think that gets payed forward and more people end up in a better spot all around in life...

Very well put, I couldn't agree more.