PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple Burl

Nate Davey
11-23-2012, 8:00 PM
When I moved up to the hills here I noticed a small Saturday flea market where an older gent was selling wood slabs and NE tables. I stopped and talked with him for a while and found out he had a bunch of burls no one wanted. I let him know I would take the vile things off his hands and the next day he brought two which I bought for $20 a pop. He mentioned, off hand, how it would be neat to see some of the spikes left on the final product and he would like to see it once I turned it. Being a person who believes in bribery, I intend to give him this bowl. I started seeing some cracks along the rim and didn't want to lose the who thing, so left it a little thicker that I had planned. I planned on this being a traditional NE bowl but, as I was hollowing the inside out, I noticed how different the bottom of the inside was from the "unremoved" portion so settled on this final form, which I'm a fan of. The bowl is 11"x5.5" and finished with Dr Workshop Walnut Oil. I did my fav foot for it was well. Please excuse the towel back drop, my gradient didn't survive the move out and I haven't bought a new one yet.

Comments and Criticism Appreciated

David DeCristoforo
11-23-2012, 8:27 PM
I love these forms. You did a great job on this. I might have gone a tad bit thinner on the rim but not much.

Kathy Marshall
11-23-2012, 8:45 PM
Looks great Nate! I think that little bit of bribery should pay off.

Fred Belknap
11-23-2012, 8:52 PM
That sure is pretty piece of maple and you did it right. Looks like you and that new lathe are getting along fine. You wouldn't be thinking of bribing that feller out of another piece would you.

Nate Davey
11-23-2012, 8:54 PM
Why Fred, what are you suggesting;)

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Beautiful piece Nate.

Baxter Smith
11-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Very nice job Nate! I have tried a couple of those out of green cherry burl. They either cracked and/or moved so much sanding is about impossible.

Tim Rinehart
11-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Nice looking burl Nate. I also would agree leaving the upper rim a bit thinner would be nice, but the thicker ones show off more spikes. I bet that guy won't see them burls in the same light again after seeing this!

Doug W Swanson
11-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Geez, why can't I find people like that?

Looks great! I love it!

Ted Calver
11-23-2012, 11:37 PM
I like this form and all the spikey things...good job!

mike ash
11-23-2012, 11:43 PM
You've got that form figured out. And it sounds as if you've got a new friend there as well!

Mike

Nate Davey
11-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks all,

Tim, agree thinner would have been more artistic, but wanted to keep as many of the spines as I could. Hope I didn't price myself out of some burls!

Steve Schlumpf
11-24-2012, 5:37 PM
Nice! I agree that a thinner rim would have been nice but I also understand trying to keep the spikes! Hope this results in some big time burl deals... and a new friend for you! Thanks for sharing!

Mark Hubl
11-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Very nice, don't know what it is about these forms but I always like them. Maybe it is just a turner thing or maybe some ancient alien thing. Burls really do make these look good. Hope this gets you some more nice wood to play with.