PDA

View Full Version : A Little Burl from an Old Giant

Baxter Smith
11-23-2012, 7:04 PM
While in Maine this summer, I came across a little ash burl.

The limb had been lying beside the tree for years, but the burl looked solid.

Since it was a rather long walk carrying a chainsaw and a chunk of wood, my cousin let me borrow his Gator. Although there was rot, some other parts of the limb seemed solid enough to turn as well.

Since it was less than 50 yards to where I had left the gator, I lugged out a few pieces.

Although small, a few pieces had some curl, and all have had a warm color.

This week I roughed out the last of it.

Roger Chandler
11-23-2012, 7:11 PM
Love the curl in that hf and bowl Baxter........that will pop for sure and will be a real looker when finished!

Baxter Smith
11-23-2012, 7:15 PM
Since I wasn’t quite sure what to do with it, the little burl came last.

Plans changed as I went along and ended up with this.

4 1/8” t x 3 1/8” w x 1/8" :
Finish is AO and buffed.

The other side of the tree split off years ago and its now rotting away from the inside.
As long as it hangs on, I doubt I could bring myself to cut it. If its time runs out before mine does, I will be getting a bigger saw.:)

Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome!

David DeCristoforo
11-23-2012, 7:19 PM
Wow! That is some screamer figure! The HF looks to be a stunner. I absolutely love the "genie bottle" form.

charlie knighton
11-23-2012, 7:28 PM
wood hound 1st class, way to go Baxter, really like it all but the genie bottle i am partial to, you do need a bigger chain saw, do not tempt yourself and go to california with the bigger chain saw, probably need a flatbed trailer and a tractor to load it , that gator is nice, but it ain't big enough

Dick Mahany
11-23-2012, 7:45 PM
That wood is spectacular. The curl on the bowls is amazing and provides interest. The hollow form turned out beautifully and I admire the form and tall graceful neck.

Kathy Marshall
11-23-2012, 8:58 PM
Now that is a big ash tree!
The hf is going to look great! Lots of figure there, are you going to dye it?
The bowls look great too and I love the genie bottle form!

Nate Davey
11-23-2012, 9:04 PM
The figure on that hollow form is unbelievable. Great haul on the wood was well. The genie bottle crowns the group, beautiful work Baxter.

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Beautiful Baxter. The figure is just awesome on the HF.

Tim Rinehart
11-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Wonderful finds and pieces from the trip in the woods. The hf looks like it's gonna be a beauty, and I too really like the genie bottle. Great work!

Baxter Smith
11-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks all. I would have been happy to find just one turnable piece from that rather special tree. Finding more than one and kind of pretty to boot made my day!

...... you do need a bigger chain saw,........
Charlie, my daughters boyfriend is still in college but works at ACE hardware. He told me yesterday they were having 10% off Stihl products today until 10. This morning he texts me and tells me its 20% so I go in. I came darn close to walking out with a 362 and 25" bar. He was sweating I would get it.... and my wife wouldn't be speaking or cooking for him again anytime soon. :D Decided I had better show him some fiscal restraint so walked out with a 3 pack of files. :)

The hf is going to look great! Lots of figure there, are you going to dye it?
!
Kathy, that little burl had less figure than I thought it was going to. I was very tempted to try dye on it. These pieces have such nice color its almost seems like a wonderful patina. Changing that to some version of red, blue or green almost seems demeaning to the old tree. The only other ash I have turned has been very pale and I didn't hesitate dying some of it. I will have a year to think about it.:)

Jim Burr
11-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Well aren't you a clever rascal!! You sure kept the memory of that tree alive for quite awhile...a few more years and you may not be able to carry a bigger saw:D...just sayin';)

Mike Cruz
11-24-2012, 8:19 AM
You know I love all these, Baxter. You have a way of doing a tree proud!

Dave Fritz
11-24-2012, 8:26 AM
Baxter, only a turner would find potential in that piece of dead wood. What a treasure, well done.

Dave F.

Rich Aldrich
11-24-2012, 8:44 AM
Nice HF - good form. Ash is nice to work with. I like the story - I am not the only one that does this stuff and learned that they have gators in Maine.....

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-24-2012, 1:22 PM
Bax,
Not many turners would have imagined what you saw inside that old limb. The pieces it yielded are all magnificent. You shaped them to show off the tree's natural beauty. Though interesting, the burl is sort of anticlimactic compared to the compression wood in the branch itself. The hollow form is going to be a knockout. Your visits to Maine have been fruitful in terms of great turning stock. You may need to get serious about that bigger saw. Great work.
faust

Baxter Smith
11-24-2012, 5:08 PM
.........a few more years and you may not be able to carry a bigger saw:D...just sayin';)
Since I picked out this saw 10 years ago for that exact reason, that bridge may have already been crossed.;)
:)

......... learned that they have gators in Maine.....
...........and they have yet to eat a single cow.:)

............Not many turners would have imagined what you saw inside that old limb. ......

Can't take that credit Faust. Though after seeing the inside of this one , I will never look at a dead/rotting limb the same way again.:)

Mark Hubl
11-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Sweet wood Baxter. It always seems you are out harvesting some really nice wood. Makes us suburban boys jealous. Always nice to see what you do with that great stash. The figure on these pieces is great and so is your turning.