PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday thread

Dave Lehnert
11-23-2012, 5:40 PM
Thought I would start a thread on who was able to score a deal or two on tools for Black Friday.
I was out today picking up some things I needed. Seen some good buys ,but nothing I could not pass up.

brian c miller
11-23-2012, 6:53 PM
I am picking up a DJ-20 Jointer tomorrow with extra knives, paperwork, 3' straight edge and some other goodies!!! :)

Plus I sold my old Delta 37-380

Mike Heidrick
11-23-2012, 6:57 PM
$50 20 piece SAE and Metric Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches
$10ea Two Craftsman screwdriver packs
$300 Whirlpool 510 dishwasher in stainless (our needs replaced bad)
$20 Batman Arkham City Game of the Year Edition
$9 Batman Arkham Asylum

Went at 7am and hardly any lines. I was second in line when I check out at each place. Registers were all open in their depts so that made it super easy.

Stephen Cherry
11-23-2012, 7:04 PM
Didn't venture out of the back yard today. I'm tempted by the byrd head sale at the Grizzler though.

Cary Falk
11-23-2012, 7:51 PM
I got a free Lufkin 25' tape measure form Ace Hardware. Cost $4.99. Paid with a $5 Ace rewards certificate. Filled the $4.99 rebate out online.

Peter Quinn
11-23-2012, 7:59 PM
Went to borg at 6AM to buy sub facia and rafter ties for new barn I am framing furiously before winter. Got very good lumber and excellent service, did not even look down any aisles. I'm not sure when it happened but my local borg seems to have the best construction lumber in town presently, the staff is great, I'm still not excited about the "cabinet grade" plywood, but there are some real positive things happening there in most departments I've visited recently. Hmmmm

Keith Hankins
11-23-2012, 8:21 PM
Ain't enough tea in china to get me out today.

Kevin Bourque
11-23-2012, 8:28 PM
I bought a grout float at Homies for $5.

Jim Andrew
11-23-2012, 8:41 PM
I bought the last Dewalt 4 piece 18 volt cordless set last night at Sears. Drill, sawzall, skilsaw light for 199. Thanks Cary for the reminder to fill out the rebate at Ace Hardware. Picked up a few deals there too.

Jay Rasmussen
11-23-2012, 9:27 PM
I missed it; I thought all day today it was Saturday.

Yippee, another Saturday tomorrow!

johnny means
11-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Unfortunately, I could no longer deny my need for some new jeans. I have literally been wearing my "painting clothes" for weeks now. My favorite jeans happen to be from Express, a large mall chain. They're also fairly expensive, so I only buy when I can get a good deal. Just so happens they have a 50% everything sale for Black Friday before noon. Seeing as how I am going to need several new pairs at about $80 to $110 a pair, I figure might as well do it today. Anyway, stood in line a couple of hours to buy $800 worth of jeans for half price.

What I found strange was the number of people standing in line with me for a $15 bauble or t-shirt. I wouldn't bother being out today if I didn't stand to actually save a large amount of money on something that I was buying no matter what.

Brian Tymchak
11-24-2012, 8:31 AM
I stopped into my local HD yesterday about 8:00 am to pick up a few things to start my painting project and it was dead. Staff standing around talking to each other. Piles of stock in the aisles. Looks like Black Friday was a bust here.

Dan Hintz
11-24-2012, 8:37 AM
Only went to Sears (at wife's insistence), but well after the opening time to avoid the mad rush. Everything else was online.

$15 -- A few more Craftsman screwdrivers (one can never have too many screwdrivers)
$70 -- 89-piece Craftsman Max Axess socket set

$255 -- Earlex HV5500 Sprayer

The Earlex sprayer was the best deal on a tool, but I made a few good buys on other items (picked up a die cutter / embosser for the wife's scrapbook stuff for about half price... figure I can make her new dies on the laser).

Steve Kohn
11-24-2012, 8:43 AM
I stopped into my local HD yesterday about 8:00 am to pick up a few things to start my painting project and it was dead. Staff standing around talking to each other. Piles of stock in the aisles. Looks like Black Friday was a bust here.

+1. I went to HD at 7:00AM and the staff outnumbered the customers by a ratio of 3:1. I couldn't move in the store without someone asking if they could help me. Unfortunately the merchandise was underwhelming so I left and went to Menards. Menard's was totally different. That store was hopping, with every register manned and lines in front of everyone of them. It still only took a couple of minutes to check out with the only thing I bought (birdseed).

John Coloccia
11-24-2012, 9:10 AM
I tried to return a computer keyboard at Best Buy and they told me that customer service wasn't open until noon. :/

Then on my way out, dopey at the door asked to see my receipt. I told him it was a return and that he damn well just saw me walk in, go to customer service and get turned away, but I'm in a good mood after thanksgiving so sure, here's my receipt son.

"Uh, do you have a receipt from today?"

No...IT'S A RETURN.

He looks at the police officer on duty. Officer looks at me and giggles. I say, "Looks like you're going to be here a while. You can explain it to him". We both giggle and I go home wondering why I bother to ever step foot into Best Buy, even the once every 2 or 3 years that I do.

Then I went to Lowes to buy a plug and some power cord for a shiny new tool that I brought into my shop (pictures and gloat to follow). Home Depot didn't have what I want, and that's too bad because the couple of guys and ESPECIALLY the gal that work in the electrical department there are FANTASTIC, unlike everyone else who seems to be rather...uhm...well, dumb and lazy. Anyway, there are two Lowes employees...associates...partners...whatever the heck they're called, chit chatting. I go up to them and ask if I can get some wire cut.

her: "That's in aisle 10, sir".
me: "I'm sorry, but it's right here in front of us"
her: "No sir, it's in aisle 10"
me: "No, miss, it's that round stuff in those big spools right in front of us".
her: **slowly moseys on over to the wire....and I do mean slowly mosey**
me: **waits a bit of time to see what's going to happen** "Uhm, so can I get some wire cut, please?"
her: "Oh, just wait around and I'm sure someone will be by in a few minutes."
me: "Miss, I'm in a bit of a rush...do you think you could call someone or something?"
her: "Oh....that's a good idea...OK"

:mad:

Jim Andrew
11-24-2012, 11:54 PM
I also bought some new Wranglers at Walmart for 9.50. They had my size! And that was a couple hours after the rush. Was going for the 50" tv, but didn't get there early enough, some guys stayed all night, so I settled for some new jeans, flannel shirts, and a couple movies.

Ben Martin
11-25-2012, 12:03 AM
I grabbed 2 of $50 storage shelves/racks from Lowe's, nothing else I saw could justify me getting out of the house. Ohh, and I bought those online and they were ready when I showed up to the store!

Matt Meiser
11-25-2012, 9:56 AM
I went to Kroger and stocked up on Starbucks beans for $6.99/bag. That was part of their regular weekly sale, not a Black Friday deal. Friday was just the day I remembered to go. Actually a great day to go to Kroger--no one was there!

I did go to Woodcraft yesterday and bought the last two 10-packs of pen kits for 19.99 from their Black Friday ad. I was going there to buy pen kits but didn't expect to find any of these since it was no longer Black Friday. My daughter is making a bunch of pens for gifts so it was something we needed either way.

Curt Harms
11-26-2012, 5:19 AM
I got an email promo from Woodcraft. They had 4" mini F clamps for $1.99 ea. Black Friday only. I have a half dozen Bessey 4" clamps that I use a LOT so figured a dozen more 4" clamps wouldn't hurt. I doubt the Woodcraft clamps will work as smoothly but sometimes quanitity is its own quality or something like that.

Jim Riseborough
11-26-2012, 8:04 AM
Menards has the jorgensen clamps on sale, i noticed this week I was short a few on a project, so 4 more for me.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/fastening-tools/24-cabinet-master/p-1442522-c-9135.htm

Peter Kelly
11-26-2012, 3:16 PM
There's a Cyber Monday sale at Lee Valley today. http://www.leevalley.com/us/home/cyms.aspx?c=

Ben Martin
11-26-2012, 4:13 PM
Menards has the jorgensen clamps on sale, i noticed this week I was short a few on a project, so 4 more for me.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/fastening-tools/24-cabinet-master/p-1442522-c-9135.htm

Jim,

Don't buy them at Menard's take the Menard's ad to Home Depot and buy them there. Last time I did this the discount was pretty big as Home Depot was much much higher priced than the ad; it made the 110% guarantee worth something...

Ben

Jim Andrew
11-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Ben, does Home Depot actually discount 110% the difference between Menards and HD? We don't have HD here, only Menards and Lowes. Menards has much better sales than Lowes, I just drive by and go to Menards. If you want the good deals to keep coming, shop at Menards.

Ben Martin
11-27-2012, 6:03 PM
Ben, does Home Depot actually discount 110% the difference between Menards and HD? We don't have HD here, only Menards and Lowes. Menards has much better sales than Lowes, I just drive by and go to Menards. If you want the good deals to keep coming, shop at Menards.

Yep, say the difference is $10, Home Depot will give you an $11 discount on it. Worked out great for me last time. But to be honest, it wasn't my idea, a while back when they were on sale somebody else posted to do that here.

I miss Menard's, leaps and bounds above any other BORG in most departments. They have yet to infiltrate the South...

Ben