PDA

View Full Version : Roughed out a 19" chestnut platter

Sparky Paessler
11-23-2012, 7:03 AM
Well last night I roughed out a 19 " platter out of some of the American Chestnut I got. This is the largest thing I have turned so far. Had to do it outboard on my Nova DVR but I have the outboard turning rig on it and it works well! It's soaking in DNA right now. It is about 3" tall.

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2012, 8:10 AM
Sparky that is going to be one good looking platter. Wood looks awesome.

Eric Gourieux
11-23-2012, 1:42 PM
That's got some beautiful figure. Good luck with the DNA. It seems that 80% of what I soak in DNA ends up splitting really badly.

Michelle Rich
11-23-2012, 3:21 PM
it's going to be stunning when finished

Scott Hackler
11-23-2012, 4:08 PM
Nice platter Sparky. That wood looks very nice.

That's got some beautiful figure. Good luck with the DNA. It seems that 80% of what I soak in DNA ends up splitting really badly.

Eric, just curious....what is your process after the DNA soak. I have about a 99% success rate using DNA and am curious if your doing or not doing something correctly. For me I turn rough using the 10% rule, no sharp edges, double or triple wrap in newspaper, masking taped shut on the bottom, holes cut in the open part of the form and sit on a shelf in my shop for 4-6 weeks until I can't smell the DNA through the holes anymore and unwrap. At this point its left on the shelf unwrapped until I can get back to it.

Jim Burr
11-23-2012, 4:13 PM
Sweet Sparky!!! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Baxter Smith
11-23-2012, 6:52 PM
That will certainly be a special platter!

Kathy Marshall
11-23-2012, 9:11 PM
Nice job Sparky! That should be a beauty when it's finished!

Donny Lawson
11-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Awesome looking bowl. Looking foward to seeing it finished.

Roger Chandler
11-24-2012, 8:08 AM
You have a winner there, Sparky.........nice work!

Greg Just
11-24-2012, 9:12 AM
Nice job Sparky - looking forward to seeing the finished platter

Eric Gourieux
11-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Nice platter Sparky. That wood looks very nice.

Eric, just curious....what is your process after the DNA soak. I have about a 99% success rate using DNA and am curious if your doing or not doing something correctly. For me I turn rough using the 10% rule, no sharp edges, double or triple wrap in newspaper, masking taped shut on the bottom, holes cut in the open part of the form and sit on a shelf in my shop for 4-6 weeks until I can't smell the DNA through the holes anymore and unwrap. At this point its left on the shelf unwrapped until I can get back to it.

Scott,
You're probably right about my technique. After soaking, I've been putting the turning in a paper bag - sometimes with shavings. I'll have to try wrapping it more tightly and sealing it up better as you mentioned. Thanks for the tip. It makes sense that I'm allowing the DNA to evaporate too quickly.

Michael Dromey
11-24-2012, 10:45 PM
Very nice platter. Where did you get the wood?

Mark Hubl
11-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Should be a real nice piece when completed. Love the contrast.

Sparky Paessler
11-25-2012, 8:08 AM
Very nice platter. Where did you get the wood?

Michael, a friend cut down a large American chestnut in his yard that was dying. It is rare to fine these and most people think they all died from the blight but there are still a few around. I got around 30 blanks out of it and shared them with several other turners and the local turning club is going to auction some off in January and February to raise some money for the club.

Greg Bender
11-25-2012, 9:03 AM
Sparky,
that is gorgeous, it will be an heirloom when it is finished for sure. I'm sure looking forward to the mailman cometh.
Greg

Steve Schlumpf
11-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Nice work! Sure has a different look to it... like a cross between a number of different woods. Looking forward to seeing it once finished!

Michael Dromey
11-29-2012, 10:06 PM
That is a great find Sparky. I did some research online a while back about American Chestnut. Some nonprofits are really working hard to bring back this species. They are also trying to find seed stock that seems resistant to the blight and breeding some of these genetics with the intent on making them immune.

Mike

Richard Coers
11-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Watch out for that center piece. It looks like it may be ready to fly out. The bond on the growth ring looks very weak. Beauty!