PDA

View Full Version : Caught on Video

Alan Lilly
11-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Does this ever happen to you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xR1IuUYW58

Dave Zellers
11-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, grab for something reflexively.

Never.

Let it fall.

Stephen Cherry
11-23-2012, 12:51 AM
That guy is asking for it.

Mike Cutler
11-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Wow!!
I'm the guy that runs with scissors,and even I wouldn't do that!
I'm sorry, but that's a little foolish.

sullivan mcgriff
11-23-2012, 1:13 AM
That would explain the stiches on my left pinkie finger

John Coloccia
11-23-2012, 5:38 AM
The saw was off, guys.

Richard Wagner
11-23-2012, 6:32 AM
Yes, I think the saw was off AND the blade guard was in place BUT that is not a good habit to get into. Plan ahead and you don't need to rescue the cutoff. Besides, my reflexes are no longer that good.

Alan Lightstone
11-23-2012, 7:54 AM
Gravity is not just a good idea. It's the law.

HANK METZ
11-23-2012, 8:29 AM
I see three issues: work supports, work supports, work supports.

- Beachside Hank
Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Bryan Cramer
11-23-2012, 12:53 PM
And he doesn't seem like a young person screwing around either. He should know better. His shop also looks like a dedicated wood shop so this is not a DIYer.

frank shic
11-23-2012, 1:15 PM
use extension supports on either side so the piece doesn't drop to the ground

Ronald Blue
11-23-2012, 1:21 PM
Why would you be videoing unless you were trying to capture the "grab". There was no narration to indicate any other reason. So was it rehearsed? But Hank is spot on, work support was definitely absent. The other reason I say it looks "staged" is no line or anything to indicate the piece is being cut to any dimension. Just my .02 worth.

Brad Shipton
11-23-2012, 1:24 PM
The saw was off, guys.

I think the saw was still winding down. I have a small scar on my hand from this summer from something similar. For some reason my saw started moving upwards slowly after letting go of the trigger, so the guard was high enough to expose the blade while it was slowing down. In my rush I nicked the blade. I sat there after for a couple minutes pondering the lunacy.

John Coloccia
11-23-2012, 2:27 PM
I think the saw was still winding down. I have a small scar on my hand from this summer from something similar. For some reason my saw started moving upwards slowly after letting go of the trigger, so the guard was high enough to expose the blade while it was slowing down. In my rush I nicked the blade. I sat there after for a couple minutes pondering the lunacy.

These saws have brakes. You can hear that it was well stopped. I don't really see what the purpose was, but nothing particularly dangerous going on.

Brad Shipton
11-23-2012, 4:05 PM
These saws have brakes. You can hear that it was well stopped. I don't really see what the purpose was, but nothing particularly dangerous going on.
Ahh, re-watched and see that noticed this time that he had waited until the blade was stopped. Both my Felder TS and Festool still take about 5s to slow with the brake. In my case I was rushing.

Bill Petersen
11-23-2012, 4:07 PM
If you've got a bad back you develop reflexes like these. When I worked as an auto mechanic if I dropped a nut or bolt while working over my head the part seldom got past my waist before I caught it. It's less painful to be quick than to bend to the ground. :)

He should probably had work support, but then again in this case the saw seemed to be off and all's well that end's well.

John Coloccia
11-23-2012, 7:16 PM
Ahh, re-watched and see that noticed this time that he had waited until the blade was stopped. Both my Felder TS and Festool still take about 5s to slow with the brake. In my case I was rushing.

So far, the most dangerous tool I've used is the a fly cutter on the drill press. I can't tell you how many times I've flipped it off and immediately reached to grab a part. Fortunately, my brain always kicks in and reminds my hand to yank itself because the boss did something stupid again. Haven't been bit yet. Also stopped using the fly cutter.

Peter Quinn
11-23-2012, 8:02 PM
Welcomed to the Alexander Dumas school of wood working......work support optional. Reflexes quicker than acumen.

Joe Angrisani
11-23-2012, 8:04 PM
I gotta ask, Alan. How do you even stumble onto a video like this?

John Lifer
11-23-2012, 9:07 PM
Yep staged. Very ignorant thing to do as several other's have said. Grab wrong time and you are missing fingers.

Bobby O'Neal
11-23-2012, 9:43 PM
This is why most "show off" threads come after finishing.

Tom Fischer
11-24-2012, 8:49 AM
Guy needs to go to youtube and type in "chop saw table". Several nice ones there.