PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi ap-10 Scratched bed

Frank Gabbard
11-22-2012, 10:20 PM
So I've been looking for a planer, used for a while, eery one on Craigslist kept getting away. So finally I picked up a Ryobi AP-10, every review i see on it has been positive, so I'm hopeing it will be a good starter Planer, until I can afford something a little newer.

So the problem is the stainless steel bed has some pretty bad scratches in it, looks almost like they ran a board with a nail sticking out the bottom thru it. So I'm thinking these gouges will probably mar the bottom of any board I send thru it, correct? The part is no longer available so replacing it not an option. So i see my 3 possible solutions as:

1) Keep an eye on e-bay hoping someone sells a dead parts machine, or this particular part.

2) Sanding, I know you can use sandpaper as part of sharpening a chisel, or planer blade, will it help take the ridge of metal left by the gouging down?

3) Getting a 1/2" piece of MDF 10"s wide, put it over the planer bed, attaching it to the support rollers on each side?

Any suggestions?

Frank

Jamie Buxton
11-23-2012, 12:29 AM
You can sand stainless. But I'd first try to remove most of the ridges with other tooling. A standard steel cabinet scraper can do the job, or a metal file held flat to the table.

michael osadchuk
11-23-2012, 10:50 AM
You can sand stainless. But I'd first try to remove most of the ridges with other tooling. A standard steel cabinet scraper can do the job, or a metal file held flat to the table.

What Jamie said.

After you remove the burr/ridge and wax the table, the planer will function fine and the scratches will only be a cosmetic issue. The important thing is that workpiece lies flat on the table and on the in and out board tables.

I bought an AP10 used in the late 80s and won't part with it despite later buying a 15" stationary planer.... the AP10 is light but tough. Good choice.

michael

Frank Gabbard
11-26-2012, 9:30 PM
Jamie and Michael,

Thanks guys, now why didn't I think of a File, duh! As soon as I get some new blades and the tool for installing them, I will be in business.

Frank

Kevin Bourque
11-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Try filling the scratches with Bondo or some other automotive body filler and then sand it down flush.

Harvey Melvin Richards
11-27-2012, 10:41 AM
I made a base and table for mine. I lost 5/8" in height, but it's never been an issue. With an infeed table, it's easier to eliminate any snipe.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz35/HarveyMelvinRichards/P3101369Large.jpg