PDA

View Full Version : Where to get plans?

Rob Boursaw
11-22-2012, 7:00 PM
Yes, rookie here. Was wondering where to get some furniture plans?
I did get one plan , but after I opened it up, it was for screws. I don't
want to use screws, or biscuts. But the plans everywhere don't seem
to say what kind of joinery they use.
Thanks for the help.

Rob.

Lee Schierer
11-22-2012, 8:03 PM
I believe that New Yankee Workshop plans show the joinery as Norm used all types of joints on the shows and always said his plans were measured drawings of what he made. There are also videos of many of his projects. Once you learn the basic you can design in your own joints from almost any plan.

Bill Bukovec
11-22-2012, 8:12 PM
Fine Woodworking's website has lots of plans. They offer a 14 day free trial for their online membership.

If you are new to woodworking, an online membership may be worth having.

Any plan you get can be modified to use joinery other than screws or bicuits.

What kind of furniture do you want to build?

Bill

Stephen Cherry
11-22-2012, 8:37 PM
where to get some furniture plans?

Rob.

What are you interested in? Table, chair, cabinets? You don't want screws or biscuits, but what do you want?

Fine woodworking is a great place to start looking at what can be done, and the options are almost endless.

Rob Boursaw
11-22-2012, 9:55 PM
Mainly cabinets. Dressers, Hutch, Sideboards, small tables.

Thanks for the info.

Stephen Cherry
11-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Here is a nice one:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/PlansAndProjects/PlansAndProjectsPDF.aspx?id=2527

Paul Murphy
11-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Rob, it helps if you mention what style you like. For example I like furniture with a modified Shaker design, so this book of plans by Thomas Moser has been great for my uses:
Thos Moser's Measured Shop Drawings for American Furniture
http://www.cambiumbooks.com/books/american_furniture/0-8069-8075-3/
Some folks like reproducing period furniture, and Glen Huey has very good books with plans.

Anyway, folks will let you know of good plans if you mention the styles you prefer. I like the concept of custom furniture sized for my exact requirement, and so I often modify plans to suit, or draw from scratch. I've found many plans contain a couple errors, so buying plans doesn't always save you from the drawing board, but they are more of a "starting point".

Keith Hankins
11-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Plenty of places to get plans. However just because it calls for screws nails biscuits or what ever make it your own. Second, don't knock those methods. You'd be surprised as some of the greatest pieces of old furniture by the masters that had screws, nails, and even parts that did not show not even being finished. But depending on your stile you like you will be limited. I've bought some from plansnow.com Made a nice blanket chest. They have a good deal on several plans. I bought the complete dvd set for Woodsmith magazine and it has ever plan going back to the original issue. Made a few pieces from that. Fine woodworking has a few and I built the hutch that have but that set of plans had errors in it. Luckily, I picked up on it plus I don't cut all my parts first. I cut them as I go so if things need adjusting as I go I can allow for that. Charles Neil's website has good plans. I just finished his 8 sided pencil post bed great project and his dvd's are fantastic and included how to make the jigs to cut the posts. Popular wood working has a few as well. New yankee woodworker has some and he does use biscuits but just leave them out. I remember the piesafe plans I got from plansnow called for the back to be screwed but I made a floating tounge/groove tenon design. So start from them but make it your own. Good luck.

John Piwaron
11-24-2012, 9:14 AM
Heck, I don't even think much about buying plans as something to build from. To look at and learn maybe, but not to build. After a while you'll notice that for a given piece in a given style they're all pretty much put together the same way. The joinery is your choice. What's your pleasure? M&T? Pocket screws? Biscuits? My own favorites are dovetails and mortise & tenon. So everything I make has some combination of them. I also recently acquired a Festool Domino machine. That's sort of like a cross between a biscuit joiner and a hollow chisel mortiser. Other people build differently according to their needs and expectations.

It helps that I have 35 years at the drawing board. :)

You'll find plans at Fine Woodworking, Plans Now, August Home (Woodsmith magazine) and others. Darrel Peart offers a plan or two as well. www.furnituremaker.com If you like Greene & Greene style. I got the plan for of of his desks. To see how a master does it. :)