PDA

View Full Version : NEW Stove operating tool

Timothy Mann
11-22-2012, 6:51 PM
A couple of weeks ago I posted a picture of a stove operating tool I made for our new wood stove. Well you live and learn, the ebony lip cracked and fell off after a couple of weeks of use, and it no longer fit the door right, I was never thrilled with the overall style of it anyway, I had turned it one day with no forethought put into it. I turned a new one this morning after planning it out a little better and am much happier with the way this one came out....for reference the old one is here... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?194096-Hello-a-couple-small-projects&highlight= the new one I made today is below, cocobolo and african blackwood.

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2012, 7:16 PM
That looks really nice. I like the wood combo.

Billy Tallant
11-23-2012, 12:45 AM
Nice job! I also like that wood combo you used there.

Mark Hubl
11-24-2012, 11:25 PM
I always like seeing user pieces. When I first was taught about the lathe it was user pieces, a lot of older texts I study focus on user pieces, so I always like seeing them. Really some of the foundational beauty of turning here. Nice work.

Rick Markham
11-25-2012, 12:45 PM
That looks perfect! I bet it suits the stove better too. That's some really pretty cocobolo... (wish I wasn't allergic)

James Combs
11-25-2012, 1:15 PM
Those are some nice looking spindles but a little naivety here, what is a stove "operating tool"? Could you show a pic of its use?

Timothy Mann
11-25-2012, 4:08 PM
Sure James....here you can see the little...nub??...on the wood stove door, it was supposed to come with a tool to operate this little nub to open, and close, the door. They told us it was accidentaly thrown away. I needed something to open and close the door with, so this is what I came up with....

Roger Chandler
11-25-2012, 6:47 PM
Nice work Tim!

ray hampton
11-25-2012, 7:00 PM
why not use your bare hand [DUCK] ?
nice cooking stove

James Combs
11-25-2012, 8:38 PM
Cool, now it makes perfect since, just have never seen a similar stove. Seen and used a lot of them in my 6+ decades but all of the ones I used/saw have the wrought iron handle with the spring looking grip on them. I even remember the short handle with the small "T" on the business end used for lifting the burner plates on a wood burning range. Some of these little devices also had the wire wound/spring handle.

Timothy Mann
11-25-2012, 9:07 PM
Cool, now it makes perfect since, just have never seen a similar stove. Seen and used a lot of them in my 6+ decades but all of the ones I used/saw have the wrought iron handle with the spring looking grip on them. I even remember the short handle with the small "T" on the business end used for lifting the burner plates on a wood burning range. Some of these little devices also had the wire wound/spring handle.

I have used a fair number of those with the wound spring like handle myself. I am not sure if this makes any difference or not, but this was made in Shropshire England by the Colebrookdale company, I guess they do it different there.