PDA

View Full Version : I need a new bandsaw for sawing bowl blanks. Suggestions?

Dee Dee Martin
04-22-2005, 9:31 PM
Will be used for one main task. Cutting bowl blanks. All from green wood. All hardwood species. Large blanks, with 1/2" blade.

Some blanks may be very thick. 12" or so....

I was looking for a 3hp Grizzly, but I'm not seeing that they sell a 3hp model. Do you all think 3hp may be overkill? Would you suggest the Rikon 10-340 instead?

You folks have a ton of knowledge up here, so I thought I'd check with you experts before I dropped over a grand.... Thanks folks!

Brad Knabel
04-22-2005, 9:58 PM
Hi Dee Dee-

I've got a Grizzly G0566 that I'm quite pleased with. It is 3 HP, 21" throat and 14" resaw capacity. You don't mention a price range - this saw sells for $1595.00.

I'm very happy with the power and capacity that the saw provides - I've had no trouble cutting up bowl blanks near the saw's vertical capacity either with the stock blade provided or with lennox blades I bought from woodcraftbands.com. I've also been pleased with the resaw results using a WoodSlicer blade (although I haven't really pushed it to it's limits.)

I can't say whether the power is overkill - my only point of reference is a 1 hp 14" saw which worked fine, but definitely could have used more power. The folks on this board with Rikons seem to be very happy with the performance of their saws. It definitely tempted me when I was looking, but the Grizzly seemed to be calling my name. I could not swing the extra $500.00 or so that the Minimax would have cost or that saw would have ended up in my shop.

Good luck with your decision. Hope this helps.

Brad

Dee Dee Martin
04-22-2005, 10:33 PM
When I browse the Grizzly website, the G0566 can't be found. But if I type it into the URL directly, then it shows up.

$1500 is about my limit. I thought Grizzly had a 3hp unit for under $1700.

For the extra bucks, tho, I wonder if it's much better than the Rikon.

BTW, the Grizzly website states that your table is only 2.75" wide. I certainly hope that's not true!

Michael Perata
04-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Of course you could always get the 36" MiniMax set up David Marks has. It wasn't running when I was there but Jim Barrett got to use it. Check it out in the below thread.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18296&highlight=David+Marks

Alan Tolchinsky
04-22-2005, 11:36 PM
When it comes to cutting bowl blanks you need power ( 3 h.p. is great) cutting height( 12-14" or more) and a good solid table. I'd go along with the Grizzly and think this saw would be perfect for bowl blanks. The only reservation I would have is the trunnion construction. They look like stamped steel instead of cast iron. For most things this isn't a problem but I wonder how that will hold up with a lot of heavy logs thrown on the table? My guess it'll probably be fine. Good luck with your decision.

John Shuk
04-24-2005, 10:29 AM
I'd say go for the Delta 18 inch. At around $1200 it has 12 inch resaw 2hp and a blade tension release lever.

Jim Becker
04-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Derick, are you re-pointing your big MiniMax to other duties? Since you do this for a living, you really need something with power for the work you describe...you already know that. Many of the less expensive saws look great on paper and work acceptably, but their real power is sometimes dubious when it comes to heavy production work. They are hobbiest machines...that's why their prices can be so attractive.

Dee Dee Martin
04-24-2005, 12:06 PM
John, I believe the Rikon has the same features, with better reviews, and a better price.

Dee Dee Martin
04-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Jim, actually the intensions for this "bowl blank" bandsaw is for my sister, whom lives 400 miles from me. My MM24 is pretty much a full time resaw machine right now.

Do you think 2hp will not be enough for bowl blanking? She'll be doing about 100 a week. I think the 3hp Grizzly is around $1600, and has a 5 week backorder.

BTW, I'm actually a full time software developer.

Jim Becker
04-24-2005, 12:14 PM
She should be fine with the 3hp Grizzly...I guess you got her interested in the "biz"!!

Nothing wrong with being a techie and blowing off steam with woodworking pursuits, too! Been there...doing that! ;)