PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Citrus bowl

Kathy Marshall
11-22-2012, 1:25 AM
About a month ago I picked up some wood from the tree trimmers. Mixed in with the pile were a few pieces of citrus. Since I had enjoyed turning the last piece of citrus I got, I went ahead and threw a few of them on the truck.
When I got home, I sealed all of the logs but one. I split that log and buried one of the halves in the big pile of shavings outside the shop. I've heard that citrus spalts easily and quickly (sometimes too quickly), so the other day I pulled it out of the shavings pile and tonight I turned this bowl.
The half log was pretty much just plain white before I buried it. I probably should have left it for another week or two, but I didn't want it to get punky.

It's 9" x 3" with a coat of antique oil.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Richard Jones
11-22-2012, 5:55 AM
Great shape, and I love the foot. Have always thought that a good foot adds not only a shadow line but enough lift to really set it off. The simple ones are the best, at least to me. An often overlooked design form. OK, foot fetish mode off.......

Like you, I would love to see something like that with some more spalt.........

Doug W Swanson
11-22-2012, 8:54 AM
Love the color! The foot looks great, too. Beautiful!

Baxter Smith
11-22-2012, 8:58 AM
Pretty bowl and a nice foot Kathy. I like the amount of spalting in that it gives two contrasting areas in the bowl.

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2012, 9:20 AM
Pretty bowl and I do like the foot and simple form.

Dick Mahany
11-22-2012, 9:55 AM
I like the color change that the spalting causes. The form is really excellent. Looks like citrus is an interesting material to work with.

Steve Schlumpf
11-22-2012, 1:03 PM
Well... that is about as pretty as they come! Very nice form - love what you did to the wood!

Rich Aldrich
11-22-2012, 7:36 PM
Nice bowl. I like the foot. Nice wood also.

Fred Belknap
11-23-2012, 8:30 AM
Very well done and I like the foot. I'm don't know exactly what citrus wood is but probably some kind of fruit tree.

David DeCristoforo
11-23-2012, 12:48 PM
That is a great looking bowl! I love the way the dark color encircles the rim about two thirds of the way around and then just kind of melts and drips down into the bowl. Sweet!!!

Michelle Rich
11-23-2012, 3:23 PM
very interesting wood..it's unusual in the color vairation

Scott Hackler
11-23-2012, 3:29 PM
Nice work Kathy, that is a very nice bowl. You sure don't have any problems "cranking out" the turnings lately. It's like your in a new lathe trance! :)

Norris Randall
11-23-2012, 3:47 PM
Kathy, I enjoyed looking at this citrus bowl. I like it.
It brought back a fond memory. (from the 60's)
Years ago when our children were children, we visited friends in Tampa.
(we had 4 they had 3 children)
They had a new home in subdivision that had been a grapefruit orchard.
The lots had been laid out so the houses that backed up to each other had a row of trees left standing in the backyards.

The adults were walking around looking a houses still unfinished.(left children play in backyard)

We started back to our friends home, plans were to walk back through the back yards of the block.

Just as we headed back we saw one of the trees falling. (timber) My first thought was that my three boys had decided to show the children of our friends how to fell a tree.
And at the same time, what value $$ will that unknown new homeowner put on the tree.

Whew! as it turned out, a neighbor next to our friends had cut his own tree.
Long story, not well expressed, "You had to be there."

Keep letting us see your attractive work.
If you get lemons, make lemonade. If you get citrus wood......

Kathy Marshall
11-23-2012, 9:30 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone!
I guess I need to cut up the other logs and let them spend some quality time in the shavings pile!

Nice work Kathy, that is a very nice bowl. You sure don't have any problems "cranking out" the turnings lately. It's like your in a new lathe trance! :)
All I can say is turning is even funner with a lathe that can keep up!

Donny Lawson
11-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Beautiful bowl Kathy. I love the colors.