PDA

View Full Version : Some non-traditional clamp storage

Brian Tymchak
11-21-2012, 1:17 PM
This doesn't quite qualify as fine woodworking but here's a little project that I finished a while back. (A little slow in getting the photos uploaded..) My mission this year has been to make my shop more efficient, which included more optimal storage for some things. As you can see in the first 2 pictures, the long bar clamps and my Bessie K-bodies really didn't have a home and were taking up some space I wanted to repurpose. I like to "find" unused space in my shop and I got to thinking one day .. :eek: .. that there was quite a bit of volume between the long upper rails on my work bench, and those clamps just might fit there.

So, I devised 3 sets of "rods" and "saddles" from some of the scraps from the bench-build on which the long clamps can easily slide in and out. The saddles are screwed to the rails and the rods just set in the U. I wanted to keep the implementation "loose" as the bench base is designed to quickly knockdown. It seems to work pretty well and I will get even better capacity if (really when) I phase those bar clamps out for long K-bodies!

Paul Saffold
11-21-2012, 7:42 PM
Brian that looks to be a space saver. I assume they are low enough that they don't interfere with holdfast.
Paul

Brian Tymchak
11-23-2012, 1:14 PM
Good question Paul. I don't use holdfasts so I never thought about it. I measured this morning. I have 5 1/2" clearance below the top, which is 3 1/2" thick. Not sure though what the typical post length is on a holdfast