PDA

View Full Version : Countertop laminate delaminating, how can I stick it back down

Dell Littlefield
11-21-2012, 11:44 AM
The counter has a solid edge with the laminate flush to the edging. It is coming loose for about 8 inches along the edge. Will it stick back down with heat? I don't know which type of contact cement was used.

David Gutierrez
11-21-2012, 12:13 PM
i have never tried this but i saw it on one of the DYI shows. they used a heat gun to heat up the loose piece and then just stuck back on.

Dan Hintz
11-21-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm sure a counter supply store could provide you with a tube/can of the appropriate stuff... be mindful, though, that contact cement is usually used by coating both materials and letting them dry to tack before pressing together.

Joe Pelonio
11-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Edges are usually heated on (iron) so it's worth a try. If not, then you have to try and sand off the adhesive and use contact cement.

Dick Brown
11-21-2012, 2:17 PM
I have never tried it but a friend of mine was at a cabinet shop and with a similar problem, they grabbed the white glue, smeared it on where they could get it, added weight till it dried, and out the door it went. Said it worked good.

johnny means
11-21-2012, 9:40 PM
Doesn't matter what adhesive was originally used. Any old contact adhesive will do. Prop the laminate up to expose the failed adhesive, spray or brush a little adhesive into the gap. Make sure to coat both surfaces. Leave it propped open until the adhesive dries then press it shut. Easy peezy.

Bruce Wrenn
11-22-2012, 8:49 PM
The 3M 90 stuff will work, and you an get it a the BORGS. Skip the 77 stuff though.

David Cramer
11-22-2012, 10:38 PM
The counter has a solid edge with the laminate flush to the edging. It is coming loose for about 8 inches along the edge. Will it stick back down with heat? I don't know which type of contact cement was used.

If it's along the edge, whoever said to use white glue or yellow glue has the best solution. New contact cement will work, but yellow glue or white glue works just as good if not "better".

Put blue tape along the edge to make less of a mess where it will spill out. Put the glue in and either clamp it down with a wooden block or put weights on it with a towel or something underneath it to protect the laminate.

Contact cement works better for guys who do this everyday because it's faster and easier to apply with a spray gun, in addition to it grabs when applied correctly. Yellow glue on a large surface not work unless you could evenly clamp down or put pressure on the entire top (not likely). With white or yellow glue applied and clamped, it should never come off or loosen up for many years.

Just my take and good luck.

David

Edward Dyas
11-23-2012, 6:24 AM
Heat is only good on fresh glue. It's too dificult to get contact cement under laminate. Since it needs to be water resistant I would either use a resin glue or two part epoxy to glue the laminate down.

Dell Littlefield
11-23-2012, 8:51 AM
Thanks everyone! I'll try the epoxy.

Peter Kelly
11-23-2012, 9:04 AM
If you've got a way of applying pressure, yellow glue is definitely the preferred way with HPL. Epoxy will be difficult to spread between the laminate and substrate. Cleanup will be difficult too.

Rick Lizek
11-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Clean the edge with lacquer thinner and use yellow glue. Use a curved caul to clamp it down.