PDA

View Full Version : Wood dilema!

Jim Riseborough
11-21-2012, 9:50 AM
So I have about 2500 bf of oak, ash, maple, walnut wood, yet I am looking to buy some poplar to make drawers for a chest of drawers. Its seems crazy to me, but I am finding it hard to go at the drawers with oak or maple. What do you guys think? I sorta know in the back of my mind i will never use all that wood, but for the amount and size I need it would be easier to buy and work the poplar. Someone please tell me to just use the wood I have.

Thanks

scott vroom
11-21-2012, 9:56 AM
I make my drawers from hard maple so you know which way I'd go. Poplar is fine for drawers but, IMO, doesn't look nearly as nice as maple nor is it as hard.

Your project, your wood, your money, your choice :)

Joe Scharle
11-21-2012, 9:56 AM
Ash is good drawer stock. I've used it; resawn to 1/2" and have read that it was used a lot in furniture factories as a secondary wood.

Montgomery Scott
11-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Personally, Eastern maple is my secondary wood for drawers. If you are making a quality piece, why use something as unatractive and soft as poplar?

Prashun Patel
11-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Ash and oak are relatively cheap in my neck of the woods.
If it were me, I'd use that for the drawer sides. Both are good, stable choices, and IMHO, compliment the color of walnut well.

Also, drawers being relatively thin and short, and hidden, it's probably going to be easier to 'work' it than you might think.

Jeff Duncan
11-21-2012, 10:52 AM
I don't like poplar for much outside of paint grade moldings. Any of the other woods you have would be suitable for drawers.

good luck,
JeffD

Troy Turner
11-21-2012, 11:00 AM
I'd rather see you make some nice frames or something out of those vs. closing them up out of view. But I know where you're coming from...you've got all this nice wood, yet you keep buying more as a secondary. Good luck with that one ;)

Jim Riseborough
11-21-2012, 11:19 AM
I think i decided once i hit enter, Im gonna use up the wood I have, I see so much bargins for wood, so I can use it up, and then buy more !

I have a good planer, so I can work the wood to what I need to, cept I could use a bigger jointer.......money for poplar would be a good down payment! http://www.camaro5.com/forums/images/smilies/happyanim.gif