PDA

View Full Version : stocking the bar

jack duren
04-22-2005, 7:33 PM
im finally close enough on finishing the rec room bar to start supplying the bare shelves. anybody out there "drinker knowledgeable" :cool: ?

i see two bottles of the same liquor with 2 different prices. no knowledge to know the difference.

also are there any liquor friendly forums out there?.....jack

Matt Meiser
04-22-2005, 7:47 PM
Maybe someone at this magazine can help:

Modern Drunkard Magazine (http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/) :D

I have no clue either. We buy the mid-priced stuff out of ingorance when we need something.

jack duren
04-22-2005, 7:57 PM
my confusion comes from johnny walker blue label on ebay. average price is $150 -$170. but on ebay i saw yesturday one on "buy it now" going for $70 or so dollars. a little confusing.....jack

Mark Singer
04-22-2005, 8:26 PM
I hab ben doin sum cerius ressearch .....I am still reseaurchng ...I will let you know...an inresting subject as they say!:rolleyes:

jack duren
04-22-2005, 8:41 PM
i think i figured it out. there only 200ml bottles and the others are 750ml. guess that would make a difference :o .. ...jack

Dan Mages
04-22-2005, 8:55 PM
Here is a good question for ya. Do you have a beer/wine cellar as part of your basement? If you do, here are a few of my beer choices to stock your bar with for 1-5 year aging.

N'Ice Chouffe by Brasserie d'Achouffe. This is a wonder dark Belgian ale that is brewed with a few spices. Most of the bottles you will find now will be ready to drink in 2007 or 2008. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/321/2269/

Three Philosophers by Brewery Ommegang from Cooperstown New York. This is another unique Belgian style brew. It is a mix of a dark ale and a cherry lambic, or kriek. This beer should age well for 1-2 years. All of their beers are great and will age well.
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/42/3457/

World Wide Stout by Dogfish Head from Delaware. This is a massive beer!! It is a seasonal brew that is 18%abv. This will age for years with no problems. You may get some sticker shock. It is $8 for a 12oz bottle.
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10099/20785/

Other great beers to age.

From Dogfish Head: Olde School Barleywine, Raison D'Extra, and 120 IPA
Goose Island Burbon Co.
Rogue Old Crustacaen
Anything by Chouffe
Anything by Cantillon
Two Brothers Bare Tree Barleywine
Sam Adams Double Bock Triple Bock
Most Imperial Stouts
Although it is not available in MO, Stone Brewing Co's Double Bastard, Imperial Stout, Vertical Epic, Ruination and Old Guardian all age well.

Dan

jack duren
04-22-2005, 9:24 PM
thx for the info but a cellar is out. but i do seem to taking to colectable stuff already. i generally shop for deals on tools but find liquor dealing pretty fun.

i cant imagine trying to collect wine as im confused enough on just stocking the bar. ive already figured between glass ware and liquors ill have around 3k involved. this on a budget bar setup :eek: .

maturing beer sounds interesting. is there any other way to back stock without a cellar?....jack

Dan Mages
04-23-2005, 9:37 AM
If this is in a basement, you can store them in a cabinet where they will not get any sunlight. Just make sure that there is nothing aromatic in the cabinet that may taint the cork. You can also pick up small wine/beverage fridges that will handle up to 50 750ml bottles for less than $200. That way you can keep the beer at the optimal cellaring and serving temp of 50-55 degrees.

my confusion comes from johnny walker blue label on ebay. average price is $150 -$170. but on ebay i saw yesturday one on "buy it now" going for $70 or so dollars. a little confusing.....jack

Johnny Walker blue is a whole new world of Scotch. Its their best stuff and then aged for 75 years. The price difference you see on EBay is probably the price difference between a 750ml bottle and a 200ml bottle.

Dan

Bill Arnold
04-25-2005, 4:51 AM
im finally close enough on finishing the rec room bar to start supplying the bare shelves. anybody out there "drinker knowledgeable" :cool: ? ...

The usual standbys are Jim Beam (bourbon) and Absolut (vodka). Cheap stuff works for company! :D

Beers:
Favorite: Shiner Bock (brewed in the heart of God's country -- Texas!)
Second choice: Amber Bock
After that, it's any port in a storm!!!

Hic!

jack duren
04-25-2005, 10:07 PM
i bought several brands of beer this weekend for company(I DONT LIKE BEER :p ) and thought id try a GUINESS draught. talk about a cough,cough,choke,choke beer. i hope company drinks this cause its gonna sit in the frig for a long time if not :D .

bought about $210 in liquor and $90 in beer saturday. didnt even make a dent at the bar. figure another $2,000 should do it :D ;) ....jack

Nick Adams
04-26-2005, 5:59 PM
Booker's Bourbon ~ About the only Whiskey/Bourbon I will drink. I keep 3 bottles on hand for company.

Before my grandfather died he gave me a bottle of Woodward Reserve. Very easy bourbon. I am greedy when it comes to it.

Always your standard beers. Small under counter fridge will hold 3 cases. Should Last the day. (at least)

Captain Morgans spiced rum, for cooking and some mixing. Not the high end but far from the worst.

Vodka. Rum. Whiskey/Bourbon. and I don't want to list them all. I just started thinking and I would most likely run out of room~

Best idea is kinda look around at what friends, family, and yourself like to drink at a dinner "outing" be it mixed drinks, or beer. And try to keep some of those types on hand. However Picking up a couple cocktail books wouldn't hurt. And of course one of I believe Bobby Flays cooking books involves a ton of marinaded alcohol foods.

It also might be worth your time to check out Blue Kitchen.net (http://www.bluekitchen.net/home.html)

Bart Sharp
04-27-2005, 4:47 PM
i bought several brands of beer this weekend for company(I DONT LIKE BEER :p ) and thought id try a GUINESS draught. talk about a cough,cough,choke,choke beer. i hope company drinks this cause its gonna sit in the frig for a long time if not :D .

bought about $210 in liquor and $90 in beer saturday. didnt even make a dent at the bar. figure another $2,000 should do it :D ;) ....jack

Wow, I just can't stand the thought of perfectly good Guiness going to waste... it will take me afew hours to drive over there to you, how is your Saturday looking? :)

Before you give up on stouts completely, pick up some Young's Oatmeal or Young's Chocolate. They tend to be a little smoother than Guiness. My wife was never much of a beer drinker, but she loves her Young's.

As for stocking the bar, here is another vote for Jim Beam as an all-purpose every-day bourbon. It's also nice to have Bailey's around. I'm not much of a vodka drinker, but I love the sour apple vodkas that several of the brands have come out with.

Sheesh, now I'm thirsty.