PDA

View Full Version : a cane for my dad...

Russell Eaton
11-21-2012, 9:03 AM
My dad is going to have to have some surgery on his back. The doctor said he will need to use a cane till then. So I picked up a kit at Rockler and made him one. The shaft is made from cocobolo and has a CA finish. It was a challenge to turn in 1 piece, I kept having vibrations even with the steady rest. I will make another one because this one was just a test. The next one is going to be a few inches shorter. I need to work on keeping the shaft a consistent diameter, it is close enough for now. Comments are welcome, good or bad. Russell

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2012, 9:05 AM
Really a classy looking cane Russell. He will like that.

Allan Ferguson
11-21-2012, 9:39 AM
Fine looking cane. Your dad will like that. Did one from a kit, last two from scratch joined with a wood collar in the center of the shaft, with turned handles. By turning the lower six inches at a constant diameter can then be cut to length. Will have to post later.

Steve Schlumpf
11-21-2012, 10:37 AM
If this is your test version - I am looking forward to seeing the one your Dad actually gets! Nice work! He is going to love it!

ray hampton
11-21-2012, 11:07 AM
your father will find many uses for his cane that do not include walking and I hope that he's like his cane

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
11-21-2012, 2:29 PM
Frankly Russ, I like the changing diameter! I think it gives it more character and looks less "production-y."

As to the finish, I think I'd tend more toward a touch of shellac and wax; I prefer that to the CA look.

Matt Ranum
11-22-2012, 5:51 PM
That turned out nice! I've made a couple of them from scratch for my folks and other family members. It can be a challenge to keep the diameter consistent and chatter to a minimum. I did the handles by hand with rasps and was able to get the fit just the way they wanted that way.

Russell Eaton
11-22-2012, 7:04 PM
Thanks for the comments. Dad loves the cane and now I know how long to make the next one. It will have a eagle head, that is a favorite of my dad. The finish will be CA as well. I think it will hold up better to a lot of wear.

Billy Tallant
11-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Great looking cane!!!

Rodney Walker
11-23-2012, 1:41 AM
Very classy looking cane.
Rodney