PDA

View Full Version : Router Edge Guide - Using on a circular table top

George Bokros
11-21-2012, 7:43 AM
Wife wants a small round table. We have discussed a small flute around the top slight distance from the edge. Plan would be to use a core box bit sort of like making a fluted door jamb. I plan to use the router and a circle jig to cut the top round working from the bottom side of the table top. The flute will need to be made working from the top of the table so using a circle jig is not an option because of the center point requiring at least a hole in the middle of the top.

I am wondering if you can use an edge guide to guide the router to make the flute. Has anyone done something like this or do you know it it is possible to use an edge guide on a round top?

Thanks

George

glenn bradley
11-21-2012, 8:14 AM
There are versions that are made for this (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25320&site=ROCKLER) but, a bit of skill is required and a boo-boo is a real deal breaker. I would use a circle jig. Double stick tape a scrap to the center of the table to attach the pivot point so as not to leave a mark.

Ken Krawford
11-21-2012, 8:34 AM
Don't necessarily rule out working from the top. I got some double stick tape from Lee Valley and it REALLY stays in place. I've used it in situations like yours before with no problems.

Bill Huber
11-21-2012, 8:35 AM
Could you not make a center pin in some scrap and then double tape it to the work, this way there would be no hole in the center of the table.
Make the center pin and attach it to the panel, cut the flute and then cut the table top, this way you would have the same center for both cuts.

George Bokros
11-21-2012, 8:47 AM
Could you not make a center pin in some scrap and then double tape it to the work, this way there would be no hole in the center of the table.
Make the center pin and attach it to the panel, cut the flute and then cut the table top, this way you would have the same center for both cuts.

Thanks for the responses. The answer is so obvious I guess that it was invisible.

Thanks all.

pat warner
11-21-2012, 10:07 AM
"I am wondering if you can use an edge guide"
Edge guide routing is an option.
Shape the edge guide guide edge (!) such that its inside radius = the outside radius of the work.
It will give you a better shot at circumferential routing but there is still some risk
as there is with a disk templet.
The cutter, in both cases, can stray off your cut line and ruin the work.
A pinned circle cutting jig confines the cutter; it will track your cut line without wandering.
However, it too has its technique sensitivities, especially in & out of end grain.

Chris Padilla
11-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Be patient with the cut...take several passes so you don't have/minimize the grain direction problems as Pat alluded to.