PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Rowmark (LaserMax), what I found

Shaddy Dedmore
04-22-2005, 7:20 PM
Just thought I'd share what I found. I've been making some Keychains (don't have a pic yet, will post later) and have been using Naptha to clean the burn/smoke marks off the back. It worked OK, but took some elbow grease. Then I tried Acetone, and it practically make the smoke marks fall off, hardly any work at all... BUT, it made the color side run a bit, I was using red on white, and it made the white a little pink... that's no good. So now it's a 2 step process for me, clean the back with acetone, and the front with Naptha. But the results are pretty good.

Just thought I'd share what I found. I've heard people here post what they use, and both of those chem's were mentioned, but sometimes you just have to see the results for yourself.

SHaddy

Rodne Gold
04-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Acetone is a very aggressive solvent and will attack and frost a lot of plastics. Try Benziene ,try Meths , try soapy water or something like handy andy (very mild abraisive cleaner) or get the 3M citrus based cleaner. Be VERY careful cleaning stuff like acrylics , especialy the clear and translucent ones with ANY solvent as the laser induces huge heat stress into these and the solvent make the stuff craze or develop stress cracks .

Matty McQuilkin
04-23-2005, 2:01 AM
when using LaserMax and other plastics I found that if you first spray the surface with pelage furniture polish , it eliminates most of the smoke and debris. Wipe of with cloth all done.

lasering from bottom up helps also

Kevin Huffman
04-25-2005, 9:56 AM
We use this stuff called Orange Peel, it can be found at Wal Mart and it works awsome. It is what we use to clean our samples before we send them to customers.

Rodne Gold
04-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Kevin , thats citrus oil , marvellous stuff but a little pricey in bulk, sure makes the stuff smell nice tho ;)

Jerry Allen
04-25-2005, 3:47 PM
There's a lot of orange oil furniture cleaner out there.
I got some orange oil furniture polish at the 99 Cent Only store and it's every bit as good as the Pledge version at $4. I also use regular Pledge and Behold which are about the same and work fine.

Nick Adams
04-25-2005, 4:26 PM
ARDEX brand windsheild spray cans work well for me, 2 versions though. I use the professional.

I get it for around 1.25 per can. Many other window cleaners and almost any citrus based cleaner will work great for you.

Dilluted amonia works also. But test it first for colorfastness.

Wes Hines
05-02-2005, 11:08 AM
We have tried many things to clean the gunk off and find good old WD-40 works very good even cleans the black out of white letters (when it gets in there) great for removing adhesive also.