PDA

View Full Version : What do you call this?

Lee Alkureishi
11-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Hi all,

On my PM90 lathe, the toolrest post holder has a little sliding handle thingy - it's a small steel rod which slides through a hole in the bolt that tightens to hold the tool rest in place. On either end of the steel rod is a steel ball, one of which is threaded on. These stop it from falling out.

I'd like to buy some more of these little barbell thingys, for some of the accessories I'm building. Can anyone tell me what they're called?

Thanks!

Steve Schlumpf
11-21-2012, 7:49 AM
I know this is the simple answer... but it is called a handle. The threaded ball at the end is called the knob. Check out the parts list (http://vintagemachinery.org/files/PDF/Powermatic/1965-PM90.pdf), part 8.

Richard Coers
11-21-2012, 9:36 AM
Reminds me of my mechanical drafting days at the tractor factory. We had to name all the parts we were drawing. The common joke was when the rookie draftsman would ask the next guy over, "What would you call this handle thing in the bolt?" Answer with laughter, "Handle". You have to get your humor where you can when we were bent over drawing boards, pen on mylar, 8 hours a day.

Lee Alkureishi
11-21-2012, 3:15 PM
Okay, okay... Let me rephrase my question:

Powermatic calls it a handle, but! If I type "handle" into google or ebay, I'll get 8 million results, ranging from door knobs to Chelsea Handler...

Can anyone suggest what to search for if I wanted to buy, say, 10 of them? I'm sure this particular style of handle has another name!

Thanks,

Lee

Mark Hubl
11-21-2012, 3:35 PM
go to mcmaster.com and search "lever handles" or "lever shafts". Here is a linke http://www.mcmaster.com/#control-handles/=k9ij1p

Scott Hackler
11-21-2012, 3:37 PM
Lee,

What your looking for is a vise handle. The problem is that most of the newer replacement vise handles are "speed" handles and not what your looking for. Your best bet (and likely the cheapest) would be to go to a machinist and have them turn threads on the appropriate rod diameter and then have them cut, drill and tap threads in a couple pieces for the ends.

Lee Alkureishi
11-21-2012, 3:51 PM
Thanks! just what I was looking for :)

ray hampton
11-22-2012, 2:29 PM
according to your descriptive , what your need are call tee-handle or t-handle if you prefer

Marvin Hasenak
11-22-2012, 3:43 PM
What size are you needing and for what use? If decorative, make them out of aluminum and turn or buy small wood balls and tap them.