PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a Made in USA leather recliner?

Brian Elfert
11-20-2012, 11:04 PM
My leather recliner is 13 years old, and some of the metal parts are wearing out so it is time to think about a new one.

A lot of recliners are now made overseas and I would like to buy American made if possible. Can anyone recommend a decent one that doesn't look like something my grandparents would own? La-Z-Boy still makes recliners in the USA so I'll probably look at what they make.

John Fabre
11-21-2012, 12:30 AM
My leather recliner is 13 years old, and some of the metal parts are wearing out so it is time to think about a new one.

A lot of recliners are now made overseas and I would like to buy American made if possible. Can anyone recommend a decent one that doesn't look like something my grandparents would own? La-Z-Boy still makes recliners in the USA so I'll probably look at what they make.
I think La-Z-Boy is now in Mexico, they pulled out of Utah. Good question.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/Smileys/extras/popcrn.gif http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/Smileys/extras/popcrn.gif

Tom Fischer
11-21-2012, 1:58 AM
Yes, most mass furniture making has moved overseas.
I have one of these (more $$$ than La-z-boy)
http://www.hancockandmoore.com/product.asp?productid=1314
I think mine was made in North Carolina.
No idea where they make them now.

I was told several years ago that Stickley (famous for QS white oak furniture) ships American logs to China, cuts/mills/makes the stuff.
apparently no white oak to be had in China.
Then ships it back (via Panama Canal) to the U.S.

Matt Meiser
11-21-2012, 7:13 AM
I believe that was a sewing operation they moved to Mexico, not complete production. They still do quite a bit of manufacturing in the US.
http://www.la-z-boy.com/Cares/American-Made/#?WT.ac=sidemenu

And employ quite a few people at their corporate headquarters here in Michigan. They are about to make a big commitment to maintain that as they just got zoning granted to build a new corporate headquarters to replace their current outdated headquarters.

John Lohmann
11-21-2012, 7:19 AM
Flexsteel is made in the US, except for the Lattitudes line. I have a Lattitude leather recliner & it has held up well for 5 years

Brian Elfert
11-21-2012, 7:56 AM
La-Z-Boy's website says they still make almost everything in the USA. They do admit to using imported fabrics and leathers because they say that most of the textile plants in the USA have closed.

I'll have to look at Flexsteel in addition to La-Z-Boy. Hard to believe that 13 years when I bought this recliner it probably would have been harder to find an imported one now the opposite is true.

Mac McQuinn
11-26-2012, 1:22 PM
I had a nice recliner years ago by 'Classic Leather", I believe they're still in business and made in the USA, Carolina is my guess. Good luck,
Mac

Paul McGaha
11-26-2012, 1:59 PM
Brian,

I'm not sure if they are US made or not but I have had good luck with Lazy Boy Leather Recliners.

I doubt we would even think of looking at another brand when it's time to replace ours.

PHM

Jim Koepke
11-26-2012, 3:13 PM
You may want to check on the one you have. As I recall, Lazy Boy and others manufactures have life time warrantees on the mechanisms.

jtk

Brian Elfert
11-26-2012, 7:25 PM
You may want to check on the one you have. As I recall, Lazy Boy and others manufactures have life time warrantees on the mechanisms.

I used Google to try and find out what the warranty is, but I found out that BenchCraft went out of business about 18 months ago. I was able to fix most of the problems with the mechanism by putting some lock washers on some nuts that come loose. The recliner no longer feels like it is going to collapse every time I sit in it. It won't last forever because some riveted parts are wearing out.

I'll probably get a La-Z-Boy next time as long as they keep making them in the USA. I looked at some this weekend and they cost $600 to $800 for a nice leather one.

Bill Huber
11-26-2012, 10:02 PM
I am not sure about the Lazy Boy Leather Recliners, I bought one 19 years ago and it only gets used every day and it is now showing some cracks in the leather seat....:rolleyes:

It is a great chair and I love it, I guess some time in the next 5 or 6 year I will have to replace it.

mike holden
11-27-2012, 11:30 AM
One thing to consider on La-Z-Boy recliners is the mechanism. There are at least three. One without a lever or handle, one with a large lever, and one with a "door handle" type mechanism. We have the "door handle" type, a nice light pull and you recline; the problem is returning to an upright position - you have to swing your legs down firmly to latch the mechanism. As I get older I will have to replace the chair simply because I cannot generate the momentum necessary to close the chair. My wife and I agree: the next chair will have the big lever.
Mike

bill kaminski
11-27-2012, 2:25 PM
Hi Brian...I have two Lane recliners...mine is leather..wife has micro-fiber...made in USA...very happy w/both...now for the IMHO part..Lane is much more comfortable and sturdy...i am 6'.. 235# mine is 5yrs plus now still as good as when new...check them out happy hols to you ...bill

Craig D Peltier
12-04-2012, 10:52 AM
This chair by far was most comfortable I have ever sat in in my life.
http://barcalounger.com/ There still made in the US, Not cheap but very comfortable. The one I sat in he had it tailored to him.

Brian Elfert
12-04-2012, 4:37 PM
I'm finding more recliners made in the USA than I thought I would. The ones you see at discount stores are almost all China made, but real furniture stores still have a number of them made in the USA. I probably wouldn't buy a recliner from a discount store anyhow.

Mike Null
12-10-2012, 12:15 PM
It was necessary for me to buy a power chair for my wife a few years back and we found a splendid chair at a store called Relax the Back. The chair was made in Ohio and was expensive.

I also have a Stressless made in Scandanavia and it has been a great chair. http://www.smartfurniture.com/products/Stressless-Eagle-Chair.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=productsearch&utm_campaign=stressless&gclid=CJPr9tmqkLQCFao7MgodwSgAbA