PDA

View Full Version : Train table mitered corner advice

Lucas G Hager
11-20-2012, 8:08 PM
This is a train table that I have built for a school auction. It is 2' wide, 4' long, and 18" tall. I previously built one just like out of cherry for my 2 year old son. Since I'm giving this one away, I want to get your advice about the mitered corners.

The corners are simply mitered, glued, pin nailed, and then I put a gusset on the back and glued and nailed it as well. The plywood bottom sits in a dado, and is glued all around. I also have a shelf rail that I've have also tried to use to help hold the miter, but it's end grain so its not much. The only thing missing is the 1/4" ply that sits on top of the shelf rail. It's painted green so the user can setup their train track as they please.

I have to build another for an auction. Do you guys think I should add spline(either direction) to the joint for reinforcement? It's not really the look I want. Or, do you think what I have is good enough. I just don't want the miter to pull apart.

Thanks
Lucas

Chris Padilla
11-20-2012, 8:54 PM
I think you're fine with what you have done thus far.

John Fabre
11-20-2012, 9:26 PM
I don't think you will need to, looks strong enough. 12 yrs ago, I bought a Thomas the Tank table, had to add metal corners on it. Yours really looks nice, if you are worried, build the other with dovetails.