PDA

View Full Version : New to turning - looking for tools to start out

Barry Lyndon
11-20-2012, 7:37 PM
So I'm completely new to turning. I'm planning on picking up the Rikon mini lathe that's on sale Black Friday to get started out. I have absolutely no turning (or sharpening) tools so I'm looking for some tips. I did a search on this forum and the best thread I could find was from 2009. I'm guessing that most of the information is still good in it but new things come out and become the new hotness so I figured I'd get some newer thoughts.

I'm planning on starting out small with some pens, table spindles, maybe some bowels, etc... In the 2009 thread quite a few people mention picking up a starter set from Harbor Freight (the links were broken). Anyone know if they still sell a good starting set? Is it still okay quality for starting out and learning to sharpen? Any other suggestions on starter sets or individual tools (do I need a set)?

A lot of people also mention a Wolverine jig and some woodcraft grinder. Is this still the preferred method of sharpening? Has a new, better jig come out that everyone loves?

Thanks!

David Walser
11-20-2012, 8:25 PM
Welcome to the vortex! I still think the Harbor Freight set (#47066 or #69723) is a good starting set. The finish is rough and you'll want to round over the edges of the skews using a stationary belt sander. The steel is good quality and the tools will hold an edge. As you progress, you'll want to pick up better tools -- think Thompson. But, the HF set will get you started for little money and will allow you to learn how to sharpen without worrying that you're wasting a lot of money. The HF set lacks a bowl gouge. If you want to turn bowls, pick up the house brand bowl gouge from Craft Supplies USA or Packard. A 3/8" bowl gouge is a decent size to start. The house brand gouges are a couple steps above the Asian imports from Harbor Freight, PSI, and others, but they don't cost a whole lot more.

In addition to a lathe and tools, you'll want a grinder and a sharpening jig. If you already have a 6" or 8" grinder, it will serve just fine. Scrap the stock gray wheels (which are not designed for sharpening high speed steel) and replace them with some white or pink A/O wheels. The A/O wheels wear more quickly than the gray wheels, but they'll do a much better job on your new high speed steel turning tools. If you don't have a grinder, the 8" slow speed grinder from WoodCraft is a good bet. It already comes with A/O wheels.

There are a lot of sharpening jigs available. They all work just about the same way and just as well. I prefer the system from TruGrind system from Woodcut. Others prefer the Wolverine system from Oneway. Either will help you learn how to sharpen your tools properly and consistently. Consistancy makes it easier to learn how to use the tools and to develop proper technique. If you have a the money, Tormek's jigs are superior to either the Wolverine or TruGrind.

Hope this helps.

Barry Lyndon
11-20-2012, 8:39 PM
Great information, much appreciated!

Denny Rice
11-20-2012, 8:45 PM
Barry there is a lot of good info here and other places on the web. Go to www.woodworkingonline.com (http://www.woodworkingonline.com) there are several podcasts there that can be downloaded to your computer or iphone that have some great info on sharpening your new tools, turning pens, bowls, ect. The turning podcast(s) are done by Brian Simmons.

Thomas Canfield
11-20-2012, 8:55 PM
Good advice from David. I would add that standard 2x2 works well for spindle practice and 2x6 makes good practice blanks for bowls. For bowls, you can add a glue block to the 2x6 blank to give more depth and a faceplate should come with the lathe until you get a chuck, which you should add fairly soon. Hopefully you will also find a turning club and a mentor to help you get started. There are lots of good DVDs out there also, but having the one on one and someone to talk to really help. Good luck.

Jay Rasmussen
11-20-2012, 9:23 PM
Barry,
Before you spend very much money on tools you should review insert carbide tools. Several folks make them now. I like Easy wood tools but there kind of pricy.
After 25 years doing flat work I started turning about a year ago. I invested around $400 in traditional turning tools. Not overly thrilled with the results I gave the carbide tools a shot. My enjoyment went up 10 fold.
I really appreciate and respect those folks who know how to use and sharpen tradition turning tools! No question it's an art. But for me it’s a little like hand cutting dovetails or using my Leigh jig. Maybe someday but now I have a few hours on Saturday to spend on my woodworking hobby I want to the most out of it that I can.
My 2 cents.
Jay

Donny Lawson
11-20-2012, 9:49 PM
I will agree with Jay, before you spend money for HF tools look into the carbide tools. You can make your own. I made one for less than 20 bucks. I had no experience. Carbide is the way to go.

Jamie Donaldson
11-20-2012, 9:53 PM
Absolutely do not waste your money on any carbide tools at this stage of your introduction to turning. Learning to sharpen and properly use traditional tools will be a much better investment, and later you may find a carbide tipped tool that warrants the money for a special application.

Steve Schlumpf
11-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Barry - I picked up the Harbor Freight set when I first started turning... Nov of 2004, and I am still using them! Really good tools for the money!

I agree with Jamie... learn the basics of turning and sharpening first, then after you know a little more about what it is you want to turn, then start picking up higher quality tools. One other suggestion is to get with your local turning club. You can learn lots and probably get to try out a variety of tools - before you buy!

Jake Helmboldt
11-20-2012, 10:34 PM
I concur with Jamie and Steve. Carbide tools are not cheap, and making your own requires turning tools. A decent starter set of HSS lathe chisels is pretty cheap. And carbie tools are no substitute for the variety of tools. Most sets will have a skew, scraper, spindle roughing gouge, spindle gouge, parting tool and/or bowl gouge. Sharpening isn't rocket science, and the diversity that a variety of chisels lends to turning makes it easier to use the right tool for the job.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-21-2012, 7:41 PM
The HF set is a good cheap set. I sill use mine. I would agree to avoid carbides early on. They are pricey. Sharpening is not difficult once you get a decent grinder. There are sharpening videos on YouTube. Mike Mahoney, professes no jigs and he has a video I believe.
One more thing, there is a difference in bowl gouge sizes, the guys "over there" Sorby etc measure the gouge by the flute size, we "over here" measure across the bar. Just remember that the gouges are 1 size bigger if you get the out of country brands. A 3/8" Sorby is the same size as a Thompson 1/2". Which I think is the best gouge size to start with. Whichever brand you choose to start with.
Good choice in jumping on the Rikon sale. That is a great deal on the Rikon.

Barry Lyndon
11-21-2012, 9:00 PM
Yeah, I went by the store to check out the Rikon Lathe that will be on sale. For $229, seems like a great deal. Thanks for all the info guys, I'm actually getting ready to head to Harbor Freight now to pick up the tool set. Can't wait to start turning come Friday!

Jim Burr
11-21-2012, 9:09 PM
Look into a good chuck too! The refurbs like the SN2 are a great chuck and bargin!
I was turning with a friend last week and it was my first use of a carbide, in our case, the Ci1. Capt Eddie makes the same thing with the same carbide for $45. Mine is one the way.

Barry Lyndon
11-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Look into a good chuck too! The refurbs like the SN2 are a great chuck and bargin!
I was turning with a friend last week and it was my first use of a carbide, in our case, the Ci1. Capt Eddie makes the same thing with the same carbide for $45. Mine is one the way.

I'm intrigued. Want to give me a quick idea of what exactly a chuck is for on a lathe? Is it just a faster easier way of getting the blank set up?

Marvin Hasenak
11-22-2012, 12:18 AM
If your Woodcraft offers a woodturning class, your best investment would be to sign up for the basic class. Also ask about local woodturning clubs, nothing better than hands on help to learn turning. The problem is the faster you learn the more tools and toys you will want. Don't forget safety equipment, dust collection and especially eye protection. Have fun.

Mike Peace
11-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Essentially, a chuck is a way to hold wood supported only at the head stock. You can do the same thing with a faceplate and glue blocks but it takes longer. You might check out this video to answer some of your questions on holding wood on the lathe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aUXil-5dEeo

Get a face shield! You only have one set of eyes.

Barry Lyndon
11-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Essentially, a chuck is a way to hold wood supported only at the head stock. You can do the same thing with a faceplate and glue blocks but it takes longer. You might check out this video to answer some of your questions on holding wood on the lathe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aUXil-5dEeo

Get a face shield! You only have one set of eyes.

Wow, great video! Thanks a ton - helped a lot. I just got back from Woodcraft with my lathe so I'm excited (barely got the last one).