PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw rebuild (progress pics)

Dennis Ford
11-20-2012, 7:05 PM
The "before" picture is in this thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?194337-Band-saw-rebuild-(pre-Gloat)

Not finished yet but there has been progress:

Dick Mahany
11-20-2012, 7:20 PM
Looking great so far. That old arn is spectacular. Keep the progress pics coming!

Thomas Canfield
11-20-2012, 9:29 PM
Looks like you have been very busy. The worm gear reduction drive was a surprise but must be needed to get the blade speed down on that large a wheel unit. I'm still interested in the motor you will use and mounting.

Sam Layton
11-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Good job Dennis,

Your saw is really looking good. Keep the progress photo's coming. What did you use to strip the paint? Also, what type of paint are you using. Are you going to balance and retire the wheels? Sorry for all the questions. I have a 20" Davis and Wells band saw that I will be restoring soon.

Sam

Herr Dalbergia
11-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Nice, I love bandsaws....

Ryan Hellmer
11-21-2012, 11:27 AM
What kind of bandsaw is that? Given the lack of tilting trunnions, worm-drive reduction and large "tray" at the base, I'd guess that was a metal cutting saw in a former life. Not to say you can't use it for wood, those are just much more common features on a metal saw. In the industrial woodworking world, large wheeled bandsaws are usually "hi-speed" running blades between 5000-9000 feet per minute. Any faster than that and you get back into metal working with "friction" saws that superheat the metal and cut more like a torch than saw. The saw looks great. keep up the good work.

Ryan

Dennis Ford
11-21-2012, 2:38 PM
Sam: I used a cup type wire brush on an angle grinder to remove paint. Very dirty work, a dust mask is important. I painted with Rustoleum "Hammered" rattle cans (used three cans).

Ryan: It is a "LAIDLAW SM 4". When I first saw it I had the same reaction, thinking that it had been designed for metal cutting. Laidlaw made wood and metal cutting saws and I believe they used the same frame for both. The gear box is designed to accommodate a third shaft and I am assuming that would have been for additional speed reduction. The worm is a "three start" gear; one turn of the input shaft yields one foot of travel at the wheel circumference. I plan to set it up for about 2000 feet per minute.

This is NOT a restoration, I just plan on fixing it up for use.

Curt Harms
11-22-2012, 7:14 AM
<snip>
The gear box is designed to accommodate a third shaft and I am assuming that would have been for additional speed reduction. The worm is a "three start" gear; one turn of the input shaft yields one foot of travel at the wheel circumference. I plan to set it up for about 2000 feet per minute.

This is NOT a restoration, I just plan on fixing it up for use.

Very nice job Dennis. If you're able, you might consider a blade speed around 3000 ft./min. That seems to be the norm for small shop woodcutting bandsaws. One advantage of higher blade speed/lower feed rate is a smoother cut.

Dennis Ford
01-01-2013, 9:46 PM
The saw is functional now and has a new 5 hp Baldor motor. These pictures show a piece of hickory that it cut with no problem. The saw will mostly be used to cut blanks for turning.

Dick Mahany
01-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Looking GREAT ! Why only a 5 HP motor ( speaking from a guy with only a 1HP ;)) ! Looks like you could go for a band-mill with this beauty :eek:
Happy New Year.

Gus Dundon
01-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Great restoration of your band saw. Goodluck on that .