PDA

View Full Version : Shakers

Richard Jones
11-20-2012, 4:10 PM
Something new for me, and trying to get the "line" in just the right place is challenging. These are really fun to turn and I'm having a ball with it.

These are cherry and walnut with walnut and cherry "lines"............or is it the other way around?

I do know that doing a curved line in conjunction with a curved object is something that is difficult to get my head wrapped around.

Thanks to the late Dan Tenaglia for the inspiration. I hope he approves. 245961

David Walser
11-20-2012, 5:56 PM
Very cool! I like the simple shape and the swoosh the accent stripe makes as it flows the through the curve.

Any chance we could persuade you to do a tutorial?

Mike Golka
11-20-2012, 6:11 PM
Those look great, good job on the lamination.

Andrew Kertesz
11-20-2012, 6:36 PM
Looks good!! Now you need to do matching pepper mills....

Bill Hensley
11-20-2012, 7:14 PM
Cool idea, consider it borrowed!

Doug W Swanson
11-20-2012, 9:54 PM
That's neat! I may have to try that!

Steve Schlumpf
11-20-2012, 10:10 PM
That's nice work! I like the simple form and the curved accent lines are really cool!

Richard Jones
11-21-2012, 4:27 AM
The shakers themselves are made from an AAW article by Bob Rosand. PM me if interested. I would be glad to do a tutorial on the lamination portion if there's any interest.

As an aside, I just received a set of the new Beall IX expanding collets. They work great for final shaping of the top of the shaker. A jam chuck is really iffy, simply because of the dished bottom and small amount of contact, only allowing me to use a skew flat on the rest for final shaping. It works OK, just a bit slow. The Beall collet actually allows me to use a spindle gouge. Nicely made stuff.

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2012, 9:03 AM
Those are nice and like the simple lines. I have been wanting to try those.