PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where to get 400x600 honeycomb table?

Nick Lesik
11-20-2012, 2:08 PM
I'm having a tough go trying to find a 400x600 honeycomb table for my C02 machine. I've searched online and have only found one place that is currently out of stock. Any suggestions??

Gary Hair
11-20-2012, 2:35 PM
http://www.stl-laser.com/laser-cutting-grid.html

Mike Null
11-20-2012, 2:54 PM
Gary

Thanks, that was transferred and forwarded I'm surprised it's working. Here's the contact info: and@en-gravs.com

Nick Lesik
11-20-2012, 3:19 PM
thank you very much :)

Gary Hair
11-20-2012, 5:08 PM
I was surprised to see it there but I thought that would at least get him started.

Gary

Thanks, that was transferred and forwarded I'm surprised it's working. Here's the contact info: and@en-gravs.com

Glen Monaghan
11-21-2012, 5:46 PM
That looks remarkably like aluminum lighting diffuser...

Gary Hair
11-21-2012, 6:24 PM
That looks remarkably like aluminum lighting diffuser...

That's what I thought as well, but it isn't. I think that lighting diffuser would work well, if well supported, but I think it's a bit lighter material than the en-gravs grid. Plus, the en-gravs grid is powder coated and that truly does make cleanup much easier. I spent a lot of time researching aluminum grids and they are not as easy to find as you might think and if/when you do find them, they are not really that cheap when you add in freight. I've had my grid for about 3 or 4 years and it shows no signs of wearing out any time soon, quite a good investment!

Gary

Mike Null
11-22-2012, 8:02 AM
The grid is actually a lighting diffuser. The powder coating makes it more rigid as well as being easier to clean. The issue is that you have to buy a fair quantity and then cut them to size. They are shipped bulk in a large carton and there is usually a little damage. All things considered it is the very best value in a grid that you can get.

The riser is critical to the use and we provided 3/4" plywood risers. Gary has improved on that by making an aluminum riser.

Chuck Stone
11-22-2012, 8:46 AM
I can't find the metal grids here, either. So I've been using the white plastic ones.
I usually cut things under 12" so I just cut the grid into 12x24 pieces and put
them aside.
I did find that they lasted the longest and left less residue on the wood if I first
engraved a grid on the grid.. in other words, opening up air channels on the bottom.
Otherwise, smoke collects in those pockets. Once there was an air channel for each
square to vent to, the smoke residue pretty much went away.

Mike Null
11-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Chuck

I doubt that you will be able to find them in any stores. They are sold only commercially as near as I can tell. Contact Adam at this email. and@en-gravs.com

Putting wood risers under the grid instead of another grid will work better as it allows through flow of air.

Gary Hair
11-22-2012, 12:56 PM
I can't find the metal grids here, either. So I've been using the white plastic ones.
I usually cut things under 12" so I just cut the grid into 12x24 pieces and put
them aside.
I did find that they lasted the longest and left less residue on the wood if I first
engraved a grid on the grid.. in other words, opening up air channels on the bottom.
Otherwise, smoke collects in those pockets. Once there was an air channel for each
square to vent to, the smoke residue pretty much went away.

Chuck,
The reason I bought a grid from Mike was due to a fire that started when I was using a plastic grid. I figured that at $9.00 each it would take a long time to spend as much as the aluminum grid and being a cheapskate, I figured it was not worth spending money on the "overpriced" aluminum grid. One day while cutting acrylic, cribbage board templates, I noticed a strange glow under the acrylic and thought, that's really strange looking, I wonder what it is... After about 1/2 of a millisecond I realized that it was a fire. I stopped the laser and got out my halon extinguisher and put out the fire. It wasn't very big yet so it was easy to put out and didn't do any damage other than blackening the acrylic and a coat of soot on the bed. After looking things over a bit I realized that the plastic grid had caught fire, the laser beam was out of focus that far below the acrylic I was cutting and still had plenty of power to ignite the plastic. I think it was about an hour later that I was on the phone with Mike ordering a grid from him, the value of his grid was very clear.

You may get away with using a plastic grid, I did for a long time, but you need to be aware of the risk and keep an eye on it.

Gary

Mike Lysov
11-22-2012, 2:42 PM
Have a look at the following link There are guys offering it for $70 per square meter

Martin Reynolds
11-22-2012, 8:01 PM
I'll second that. Caused about $2k of damage to my laser when a plastic grid went up, and I was lucky to catch it.

Also, it is really important to have a halon and a dry powder extinguisher. Halon is clean, but can only handle a small fire. Dry powder makes a corrosive mess, but has massive firestopping properties.

Nick Lesik
11-23-2012, 2:40 AM
Well I tried to get in contact with the company you guys posted but unfortunately I've received no response on 2 emails. Starting to wonder if maybe the company is no longer in business? I will try calling tomorrow...if not does anybody know another supplier for these tables? They are hard to find I gotta tell you, especially the size I'm looking for

Mike Lysov
11-23-2012, 3:31 AM
Well I tried to get in contact with the company you guys posted but unfortunately I've received no response on 2 emails. Starting to wonder if maybe the company is no longer in business? I will try calling tomorrow...if not does anybody know another supplier for these tables? They are hard to find I gotta tell you, especially the size I'm looking for

I have just sent you a pm with the link that was deleted by admin. I had no idea that it could be wrong here to help others by giving them links to the similar forum with custom honeycomb seller's contact details.

Bruce Dorworth
11-23-2012, 3:47 AM
Did I miss something or is the link to follow coming at a later date?

Bruce

Dan Hintz
11-23-2012, 7:39 AM
I have just sent you a pm with the link that was deleted by admin. I had no idea that it could be wrong here to help others by giving them links to the similar forum with custom honeycomb seller's contact details.
Mike,

It was the direct link to another forum that sealed the deal... it's a SMC no-no. Next time, don't make it a hotlink, or point to the forum in plaintext. No worries after that...

Gary Hair
11-23-2012, 12:06 PM

If you want to buy one you can click on the link on his home page and go to his ebay store. There may be other ways to get one but that looks pretty easy.

Gary

edit: I just found this site as well: http://www.cuttinggrid.com/home.shtml

Chuck Stone
11-23-2012, 6:26 PM
Putting wood risers under the grid instead of another grid will work better as it allows through flow of air.

Hi Mike.. I wasn't using another grid, I was CUTTING grid lines in the bottom of the plastic grid.
That gave me the airflow I needed.

Gary.. correct me if I'm wrong, but if there's enough power getting through the work that
it ignites the plastic grid, isn't the power setting too high? (or speed too low?)
Either way, I have a spray bottle ready and I don't leave the laser.

Martin.. halon isn't just for small fires.. it is (was?) used in total flooding systems
(that means used to flood the entire room with halon) Too bad they're
phasing it out..

Gary Hair
11-23-2012, 7:32 PM
Gary.. correct me if I'm wrong, but if there's enough power getting through the work that
it ignites the plastic grid, isn't the power setting too high? (or speed too low?)
Either way, I have a spray bottle ready and I don't leave the laser.

To accommodate the unevenness of acrylic you can't cut it with exactly the right power/speed to just make it through so you will get a beam with enough power to melt and ignite the grid. I am always in the room with my laser when I am cutting anything and that won't change, but with this aluminum grid I have one less thing to worry about.

Gary

paul jeran
11-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Another option is to go to McMaster-Carr. They have aluminum honeycomb in 12"x12 all the way up to 36x48 in 0.25, 0.5 and 1 inch cell sizes. Prices are not too bad either.

Great website, but be forewarned, it is a dangerous place to shop. Too many cool things.

This is what I am looking at for my 80W build.

Paul

Gary Hair
11-24-2012, 1:09 AM
Another option is to go to McMaster-Carr. They have aluminum honeycomb in 12"x12 all the way up to 36x48 in 0.25, 0.5 and 1 inch cell sizes. Prices are not too bad either.

Great website, but be forewarned, it is a dangerous place to shop. Too many cool things.

This is what I am looking at for my 80W build.

Paul

I tried one from McMaster and the wall thickness was so thin that it sagged under its own weight when suspended by three risers about 16" apart. I didn't measure the walls but they are probably less than 1/2 as thick as the one from en-gravs. I'm really not a shill for en-gravs, I have done a fair share of searching and couldn't find a reasonable substitute.

Gary

Nick Lesik
11-24-2012, 11:34 AM
I have a feeling that en-gravs is no longer in business as I've made 4 attempts with not one response from them. If they are in business I'm not too impressed with them. A simple response would have been nice....