PDA

View Full Version : Crazy set ups

Jeff Greer
11-20-2012, 1:56 PM
I thought I would show a couple of different ways that I hold stuff when either lasering or engraving. I thought I had a few more pictures then I did but maybe you guys will chip in and show some of yours too.

Wes Reeve
11-20-2012, 2:30 PM
This was for a set of fishbowls I did on the epilog rotary a while back. I used an empty vinyl roll and rolled some double sided tape around the edges and inside to hold the piece.

Mike Null
11-20-2012, 3:05 PM
Here's a sterling tray done on my Newing Hall.

The engraving was done on the back and the handles could not be used for clamping.

Like the rest of you I know the importance of having "sophisticated" materials like 2 x 4's, mdf and scraps of leather handy.

Lee Biddle
11-20-2012, 3:46 PM
I'm excited to see everyone's set ups/jigs. I'm sure I'll have a face-palm moment when I see someone elses' jig and notice how much simpler and easier it is. I'll post a few of mine as soon as I take some photos of them.

Mark Sipes
11-20-2012, 7:28 PM
I use a lot of hot glue to make holding fixtures for key tags, knives, bottle opers....

Just heat glue, spray first item with WD40 and press. Let cool dor 3-4 minutes and release. Walla a fixture.

Martin Boekers
11-21-2012, 10:03 AM
It looks like you may be a pen turner so I thought I'd toss this out.
I have been wanting to make one of these for quite a while just haven't been able
to make time for it.

www.epiloglaser.com/cs_kallenshaan.htm (http://www.epiloglaser.com/cs_kallenshaan.htm)

Steve Busey
11-21-2012, 1:47 PM
It looks like you may be a pen turner so I thought I'd toss this out. I have been wanting to make one of these for quite a while just haven't been able to make time for it. www.epiloglaser.com/cs_kallenshaan.htm (http://www.epiloglaser.com/cs_kallenshaan.htm)

Another pen inlay vendor uses a bit of a different technique - burns all the way through both the red and white. He makes metal pen parts on his CNC jig; but also dyes and stabilizes his own wood, cuts, drills, turns the blanks, and laser cuts them on a modified rotary chuck jig. The lasering portion starts about halfway through this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Ms9AWbG-0).

Steve Busey
11-22-2012, 10:33 PM
I turned some wood cylinders so they'd fit in some coffee mugs and travel mugs I did. This allowed them to fit on my Epilog rotary jig and not interfere with the handles. I recessed the top so the spring loaded friction wheel would have something to hold. The blue tape helps the grip without scratching the mug.

246157 246156

Dee Gallo
11-22-2012, 10:35 PM
I turned some wood cylinders so they'd fit in some coffee mugs and travel mugs I did. This allowed them to fit on my Epilog rotary jig and not interfere with the handles. I recessed the top so the spring loaded friction wheel would have something to hold. The blue tape helps the grip without scratching the mug.

Steve, that is brilliant! You need to start selling those!

Steve Busey
11-25-2012, 1:34 PM
Steve, that is brilliant! You need to start selling those!

Thanks Dee, but I imagine standard sizes are hard to come by on laserable drinkware. If someone does a bazillion of one style mug, I'd entertain making a jig for them, but I've found that even in the same case of ceramic mugs I've got, some are very loose on the "plug", some are too tight. The travel mugs are a different story, so I might entertain offers if someone is interested.

Sorry about hijacking the thread - would still like to see some more clever jigs folks have come up with!

Kees Soeters
11-25-2012, 5:57 PM
My "ABNA", Adjustable Bottle Neck Adapter for my rotational.. Fits bottlenecks from 25 to 30 mm

Kees

Gary Hair
11-25-2012, 6:24 PM
Very nice, ingenious!

Dan Hintz
11-25-2012, 8:14 PM
Steve, trim the plugs a little loose, then surround them in a spongy silicone... should give you plenty of leeway for varying sizes without being too loose or too tight.

Kees, well done... reminds me of a Longworth chuck design.

Steven Cox
11-28-2012, 2:22 AM
How to Engrave a Christmas Bauble
Here's how to laser engrave a christmas bauble with a name or message ready to put on a christmas tree. The video shows to how to set it up in a laser engraving machine using a simple template and holding method.

I tried the Video link button but no success so here's the utube URL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukfPQu08kO8&feature=youtu.be)

246571The attached file is the Temlate for Corel (v12+) obviously you'll need to adjust the sizes to suit but should give the general idea.