PDA

View Full Version : Visit with Kathy Marshall

mike ash
11-20-2012, 10:18 AM
As my wife and I were enjoying a few days of beautiful weather in Phoenix, I suddenly realized that Kathy lives in this area. A quick PM to her and I found that she was just a few miles across the sage brush, and she invited us to stop by.

Kathy was busy as expected with turning activities as we arrived. She had just received and installed a bed extension for her new Nova lathe, had prepped her trailer (complete with loading/unloading hoist) for the journey the next day to her friendly arborist's lot, and had anchor sealed a couple of pieces of wood that she was going to send me home with!!!! Yep, a piece of mesquite, and a piece of Chinese sumac. I APPOLOOGIZE FOR NO PHOTOS.......I HAVE SOME OF THE BLANKS, BUT CAN'T SEEM TO MAKE THIS DARNED iPad ATTACH THEM.

Back to the "wood turner wonder".......Kathy was amazing!!! It was neat to see some of the projects she is currently working on, some that she has completed, and many that we had seen in her previous postings (and they look better in person!!). I had made a mental list of questions I wanted to ask Kathy, and she was quite able and willing to fill in some holes in my knowledge base. I have some new ideas....and my wife added some "projects" she saw to my honey do list.

Overall, it was great to visit with a fellow Creeker to put a face to the name and to see all the tools and tricks/techniques she is using to make those beautiful things. Oh, it was also unreal to see her wood stash. Rest assured that Kathy isn't going to quit making wood chips any time soon. I knew that this would be a great visit, and it was!!

THANKS KATHY!!!

image.jpg
75.6 KB

Kathy Marshall
11-20-2012, 11:30 AM
I know... no pics, it didn't happen, but it really was a great non visit that a very nice Mike and his very nice wife didn't attend.
I can only be thankful that Mike didn't take any pics of the mess that is my shop and wood storage while he wasn't visiting.

Seriously, it was a great visit and Mike and his wife were both very nice and I enjoyed meeting them both. My only regret is that I couldn't get Mike to take any more that the 2 little pieces I forced on him (by the way, the one is African sumac, not Chinese), might have had something to do with baggage and weight limits for the flight home!
I always enjoy meeting with other Creekers and talking turning!

Thanks for dropping by Mike!

Mike Cruz
11-20-2012, 2:44 PM
Creeker visits are the best! And we should all be so lucky, Mike, to get to visit with Kathy... maybe someday I will...

Bernie Weishapl
11-20-2012, 9:09 PM
I have always love creeker visits. I hope someday to meet Kathy.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-20-2012, 9:13 PM
Congratulations to all.

Nate Davey
11-20-2012, 9:18 PM
Sounds like a great visit. It must have tough for him in the wood nirvana that is Kathy's collection.

Steve Schlumpf
11-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Well... I can tell from the photos that you both had a really good time! Always happy to hear when Creekers get to spend a little time together!