PDA

View Full Version : Sawblade assault

Lewis Ehrhardt
11-20-2012, 9:26 AM
It finally happened! I've had the carbide teeth on saw blades to come off before, and always wondered where they went. Was cutting some oak yesterday, when I something hit my left hand, then, my right arm. I thought it was wood at first. Left a fairly good gash in my hand, didn't check my arm because I had on two flannel shirts, till last night, had a gash on my arm too. Those things really hurt, felt like I'd been hit by a pellet gun. So, if anyone's ever tempted to operate their table saw without safety glasses, don't. You never know when it can happen to you.

As a point of info, this was a Freud thin cut blade. Most likely I had hit some metal. But I do distinctly remember going to a wood show and the factor rep demonstrated this same blade cutting through 16d nail after nail with no problem. Must have had some bad glue on mine :(

Glad I had my glasses on and two shirts.

Gordon Eyre
11-20-2012, 10:41 AM
That is definitely scary.

John TenEyck
11-20-2012, 10:44 AM
So glad to hear you had your safety glasses on. Your story is just another reason I use the blade guard whenever possible. Multiple lines of defense.

John

glenn bradley
11-20-2012, 1:44 PM
Glad that wasn't worse. Its always good to post these things so we all stay diligent. I don't ever want to turn into one of those goofs who says things like "I been working with tablesaw for 30 years and have never used a splitter" or "Dust collection is for sissys" Safety, safety, safety; first last and always. That's how we get to keep playing in the shop for a long, long time ;-)