PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying saw blade

Chad Fitzgerald
11-20-2012, 6:37 AM
I posted this in the engravers forum and metal workers but thought a wood worker might know as well. I put a table saw blade in my laser engraver "just because" not expecting any results but to my amazement, it turned out. I have no idea where i got this blade, no logo or anyother info on it. It was an old one. I am trying to figure what type of coating is on this that allowed the laser to blacken it. I have tried others with no luck, it just removed the coating down to the bare metal. Does anyone have any idea of what brand, type, coating, etc. of blade i have here, it is 10" 40T, 5/8" arbor wood blade. The type of coating is the main thing i need to figure out.Any info is appreciated. Would love to do more of these without having to buy several types. Here is a pic, hopefully it will help.
Thanks

scott spencer
11-20-2012, 6:52 AM
It looks like a Bosch made blade to me....it could be a Bosch made blade with a Craftsman or Vermont American logo. The engraving came out great!

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/img/c/0/0/146/3/AAAADDaZ4PwAAAAAAUYxQg/bosch-cb1040-10-inch-40-tooth-atb-general-purpose-saw-blade-with-5-8-inch-arbor.jpg?v=1302530903000

245912 245913

Chad Fitzgerald
11-20-2012, 7:23 AM
that does make sense. way back when i did get some blades from sears. the pic on the bottom right of the craftsman looks pretty close. i see titanium coating, i wonder if if that has changed over the years. i will have to get to sears and check them out.
thanks for the start

Richard Coers
11-20-2012, 9:58 AM
I'm just guessing, but maybe some type of zinc coating to keep it from rusting. There was a post going years ago about using a cold galvanizing rattle can spray on steel that the laser would react to.