PDA

View Full Version : Estate Sale Turning Trade

Baxter Smith
11-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Although happy with my 3520A, I had been keeping an eye outfor a good used lathe for summer time use in Maine. Early in July, I saw a 3520B listed on the Maine Craigslist. The owner had passed away a couple weeks before and his son was settling the estate. Since it was only 10 miles away, I couldn’t resist going to take a look. It wasmuch newer than what I had been looking for, but then I started thinking and the light came on. I should bring my 3520A to Maine! It was both used and paid for! Made sense to me. All I needed to do was find a decent used lathe for Delaware.:)

http://freepressonline.com/main.asp?SectionID=44&SubSectionID=66&ArticleID=20474

He was a pretty talented guy judging by the variety of tools and the all the different types of art he had created with them during his life. The book had been published less than a year ago and was quite interesting.

In his mid 80’s, he become interested in off center turning.His Rikon mini lathe was somewhat lacking so he purchased the Powermatic at the ageof 87 and created the “tribe” in 2011. (art Gallery photo)

When I expressed an interest in having something his father had turned on the lathe, I was told I could have my pick. IF I made him a “nice salad bowl that would feed four peoplel”. I selected the one on the far right in the above picture. He said he would set it aside until I had the bowl done. Unfortunately I didn’t have any suitable roughoutswith me. It was mid August before my son brought a roughout I had cut in my yard in Delaware. 15"x 5" should feed four.;)

Since he was a building contractor in Massachusets, our paths never seemed to cross in Maine until a couple days ago. He had finished cleaning out the shop and now was setting up for an art sale. (The lathe had set directly under the beam in the background) His son had taken the turning I had chosen, but I could have anything else I wanted. This was only a small part of the variety that would be for sale.

Baxter Smith
11-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Since there was only one finished piece left that he hadturned and burned, it was an easy choice.

I am sure some of you have seen his work somewhere in this country, Canada or Europe, but never knew the maker.
Hope I can take on new challenges at 87!:)
Thoughts and comments are always welcome.

Kathy Marshall
11-19-2012, 10:38 PM
I think that qualifies as a Monster Gloat! (pun intended)!
Congrats on the new lathe and the cool turning for your collection!

Doug W Swanson
11-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Great story, Baxter!

Steve Schlumpf
11-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Wow - quite the story Baxter! Thanks much for sharing! Congrats on your new lathe... and the really cool looking sculpture!

Bob Rotche
11-20-2012, 7:49 AM
Really cool story, Baxter! Sounds like the lathe has good karma. I'm sure the prior owner would be happy to know his lathe found a good home. Gotta love a guy that's trying new things at 87!

Doug Herzberg
11-20-2012, 7:56 AM
Great story, Baxter. That lathe will have a good home and the art you traded for will always be special.

Dave Fritz
11-20-2012, 9:02 AM
One of the best posts I've seen this year. Congratulations and hats off to Mr. Martin, his machines continue.

Dave F.

Deane Allinson
11-20-2012, 9:04 AM
The off-set turnings are very nice.
Deane

Jim Burr
11-20-2012, 9:05 AM
That is a huge score!! But to clairify...you live in Maine and Delaware and now have a lathe for both? Do you need another son? I don't eat much, cook really really well, and clean up after myself!

Jerry Marcantel
11-20-2012, 9:14 AM
Good deal, Baxter. There are so many artists out there that are unknown until someone gets a piece of their work and exposes it to another crowd of people. Ususlly, they die before they get get recognised for thier work. I tried to sound intelligent, but maybe not...... Hehe
I like how he painted the forms. It looks a lot like the balck on white pottery found in the Four Corners area of the Southwest.... ........... Jerry

Bernie Weishapl
11-20-2012, 9:16 AM
Love the story Baxter. Thanks for sharing.

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-20-2012, 1:05 PM
Great story Bax. Jerry is correct about all the wonderful artists that never really get discovered. I believe you are fortunate to have pieces of the gentleman's work. Maybe I missed something but did you buy the lathe? It looks like a beauty.
faust

Russell Eaton
11-20-2012, 1:22 PM
Looks like you are setup right. I think it would drive me nuts turning at 2 shops all the time...TWICE the vortex! Congrats on the turnings as well.

Mike Cruz
11-20-2012, 2:38 PM
Get in line, Jim, get in line...

mike ash
11-20-2012, 5:10 PM
I see that the waiting list to be one of Baxter's sons is clogged up with Mike and Jim.

So........I'll use another strategy. Are you looking for a house and lathe tools in Oregon??? There's one for sale next door!

Baxter Smith
11-20-2012, 8:07 PM
Glad you enjoyed the story. I hoped it would be of interest. Although I picked up the lathe in early July, I wanted to wait until the final chapter was written before posting.

.... There are so many artists out there that are unknown until someone gets a piece of their work and exposes it to another crowd of people. Ususlly, they die before they get get recognised for thier work. I tried to sound intelligent, but maybe not...... Hehe
I like how he painted the forms. It looks a lot like the balck on white pottery found in the Four Corners area of the Southwest.... ........... Jerry

You are not the only one who feels that way Jerry!

The turnings are unfinished. They are Maine poplar which is quite light. They were then burned. Since I have the lathe along with the burner he built and used, I thought it would be very neat to have one.

Great story Bax. Jerry is correct about all the wonderful artists that never really get discovered. I believe you are fortunate to have pieces of the gentleman's work. Maybe I missed something but did you buy the lathe? It looks like a beauty.
faust
Faust, the last picture above was taken here in my Delaware shop. I brought it home(Maine) the afternoon I went to look at it.
Unloading it late in Delaware was easier.

It was pretty much in mint condition..

I am working hard on fixing that.;):)

........ Are you looking for a house and lathe tools in Oregon??? There's one for sale next door!

Mike, I spent the summer in Beaverton about 30 years ago and loved it there. Family ties here were just too strong.

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Mike Cruz
11-20-2012, 8:21 PM
See, Mike? Family ties... he just can't leave me! I'm going to be his next son, for sure...;)

Jim Burr
11-20-2012, 8:44 PM
I see that the waiting list to be one of Baxter's sons is clogged up with Mike and Jim.

So........I'll use another strategy. Are you looking for a house and lathe tools in Oregon??? There's one for sale next door!

Hang on Mike!!! If there is a good hospital in the area, we are looking to head north...and I have 2 lathes!!

mike ash
11-20-2012, 8:55 PM
Jim - You come on north. I guarantee we'll find you a hospital. Bring Mike and Baxter and we'll even find some wood to turn (yes Mike, there are some breweries here too).

Mike Cruz
11-20-2012, 9:51 PM
Heck, I could load up my 20 foot flat bed trailer and truck bed with as much wood as I could fit on it, and we'd all be set for some time! Heck, I could have just brought this!246006246007246008246009

Oh, no, sorry, I can't...most of that is gone, and I'm still turning the rest...

Jake Helmboldt
11-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Baxter, I guess you've been a good boy. Santa treated you nice, early. The story that goes along with that is priceless. I'd say that lathe has some good mojo.

kevin nee
11-21-2012, 7:33 AM
Your grandkids will be on ANTIQUES ROADSHOW with a 7.8 million dollar appraisal