View Full Version : Marples dado set

Lewis Ehrhardt
11-19-2012, 9:12 PM
Anyone have the Marples Dado set? Curious how good they are? Comments and advice appreciated. Lowes has the set for $99.00. Wonder how they stack up (no pun intended) to the Avenger set that's on sale at Rockler right now.

Bruce Wrenn
11-19-2012, 10:51 PM
First, Lowes carried the Freud set, then dumped them, next they had CMT set (identical to Freud set except color,) which they dumped, now they have Marples. Do I see a pattern here?

Stephen Cherry
11-19-2012, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to buy used from a hobiest. I got a Forrest 10 inch set for about 200 dollars. It cuts great, AND IT COULD BE SENT BACK TO FORREST FOR RESHARPENING. This makes it essentially a lifetime tool for me.

The only way to stop stores from switching over to chicom products is to not buy them.

Bill ThompsonNM
11-20-2012, 1:38 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to buy used from a hobiest. I got a Forrest 10 inch set for about 200 dollars. It cuts great, AND IT COULD BE SENT BACK TO FORREST FOR RESHARPENING. This makes it essentially a lifetime tool for me.

The only way to stop stores from switching over to chicom products is to not buy them.

Of course the opposite is also true: If they aren't selling Chicom products, you should support them and buy the products. .. In fact the Irwin Marples saw blades are made in a factory in Italy! From the descriptions in a number of publications, they sound like they'll be nice blades. Here's a review:
http://www.protoolreviews.com/news/industry/irwin-marples-circular-saw-blades If I didn't have two dado sets in good shape already....

scott spencer
11-20-2012, 6:36 AM
As of now, I haven't tried any of the Marples blades, but they appear to be well made, and I've read many positive comments from users, and no complaints. It's very similar to the Freud SD208/Diablo DD208, and should perform similarly.

In a similar price range ($109.20 shipped), I have used the Delta/DeWalt 7670 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEWALT-DW7670-8-Inch-24-Tooth-Stacked-Dado-Set-/271100536668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1ed9e75c) dado set. It's pretty impressive for the price tag, and left cleaner cuts than my very good SD208.

John Rovnan
11-22-2012, 10:47 AM
I was looking for a similarly priced dado set and saw this thread. Decided on the Delta/Dewalt. In case anyone is interested, Grizzly has it as part of their Black Friday sale now for $75. ($88.95 shipped)