PDA

View Full Version : finishing book recommendation

Zahid Naqvi
04-22-2005, 2:21 PM
If you could have only one book on finishing what would that be? One of the topics, among the plethora of others, that I always struggle with. Would preferrably like something which is like a reference book which covers all aspects, including materials and technique.

Bob Johnson2
04-22-2005, 2:59 PM
I looked through the ones at a couple local librarys then checked out and read the FWW Complete Illustrated Guide to Finishing. I just bought it, much cheaper on line as opposed to your local B&N. Of course there's always room for more. I'm not that good at finishing so take my suggestion for what it's worth.

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-22-2005, 4:11 PM
Zahid
I have two
Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner
Great Wood Finishes by Jeff Jewitt
BUT that is not to say that they are the "final word" on finishing.
It seems like finishing methods change from "minute to minute" here in the "Creek".
So I keep experimenting and come up with the finite choice - That's the one that looks the best at the time I give up looking and experimenting.
Well best of luck and I'm sure that our family of creekers do have the finite word on finishing. Have you looked at Al's chest - WOW! Now that's finishing. And that's only one of the recent ones. eh!
Daniel

Zahid Naqvi
04-22-2005, 4:28 PM
Zahid

It seems like finishing methods change from "minute to minute" here in the "Creek".

Have you looked at Al's chest - WOW! Now that's finishing. And that's only one of the recent ones. eh!
Daniel

Daniel,
I just need to read up on some basics. I have tit bits of info from here and there but not a conceptual description of steps. I think the products change but the basic technique has remained the same for some time. I have heard a lot about Jeff Jewitt, I might get one by him.

Earl Kelly
04-23-2005, 11:36 AM
Jeff Jewitt has a good book, but my favorite is from George Frank. He is the Father of finishing. Plus the book has some very interesting and funny stories.

Kent Cori
04-23-2005, 8:56 PM
When I have a finishing question, Jeff Jewitt's book is where I go first.

Carl Eyman
04-23-2005, 9:54 PM
He suggests you keep it in your shop not your library. It has such a wealth of information that reading it is overpowering. Something like reading the dictionary - too much information - too fast, but is you have a question the answer is there. I also agree that Frank's book is great. Good Reading, Witty, etc. But if you are wondering which brand of stuff to buy, you won't find the answer there.

James Carmichael
04-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Daniel

I don't think that's just here on the Creek, Daniel.

Seems like I recently saw my local WoodCraft store offering a finishing class that covered what they described as the "4-basic finishes". I went by a paint store the other day and there are a mind-number number of choices, not to mention home-brews.

Personally, I like to keep things simple, so I'm thinking the WC class may be a good investment.