PDA

View Full Version : 2 Drawer Bookcase

John TenEyck
11-19-2012, 5:30 PM
Here's a bookcase I built for my brother for Christmas. I take no credit for the design; it's from Woodsmith Issue #120, although I stretched it wider and taller to accommodate my brother's wishes. Like the Woodsmith one, this one is in cherry, much of it with some nice curl. It is finished with General Finishes Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal.

This project was a nice diversion from most of the stuff I now build of my own design. Woodsmith plans and build articles are so complete that you can pretty much be assured of success by just following along. This was one of those times where I appreciated just working w/o having to think and worry too much.

Thanks for looking.

John

Jim Rimmer
11-20-2012, 2:16 PM
Great looking bookcase. I like the drawers; you always have something that needs to be stored out of sight. Love the Greene & Greene/A&C Style.

Gordon Eyre
11-20-2012, 2:23 PM
I am impressed by the amount of fine dovetail work that went into this project. Congratulations on a very nice bookcase.

glenn bradley
11-20-2012, 5:02 PM
Very nicely done. I really like the continuous figure across the drawer fronts.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-20-2012, 5:10 PM
John.....Nicely executed with a great attention to detail! Your brother will love it!

John TenEyck
11-20-2012, 7:45 PM
Thanks for the nice words. It definitely has strong influences of Arts and Crafts with just a little Green and Green thrown in. I saw a very similar design in my Stickley catalog, minus the drawers, but I like how they add some visual weight to the piece. The dovetails were machine cut and having a drum sander to make everything truly flat and of consistent thickness really helped in fitting the sliding half dovetailed fixed shelves to the sides. Even so, I had to fit each one individually. The drawer dovetails are probably in tune with what Stickley would have used, but I'm looking forward to moving to a lighter look with longer tails at 7 - 9 deg with future projects.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

John

Jeff Heil
11-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Beautiful work! I like the drawers! I am sure your brother will love it!

Indranil Banerjie
12-06-2012, 9:41 PM
A masterpiece. I particularly liked the curves and the superb piston-fit drawers. My dream as a hobbyist is to build stuff like that some day!