PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking Best Tool For Cutting EMT or....

Ted Calver
11-19-2012, 1:45 PM
any other metal pipe/tubing? I have no metal working equipment but have frequent need to accurately cut EMT and various steel and stainless steel tubing up to 2" in diameter. So far I have used a hacksaw with less than stellar results, usually crooked cuts. Is there a tool I can buy like a motorized hacksaw or chop saw that will give me smooth and accurate cuts, something in the $3-400 range or less??
Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Eric DeSilva
11-19-2012, 5:08 PM
There's a new(ish) replacement for the awful abrasive saws out there--check out the Evolution Rage saws. I have a smallish (7.25") chop saw with their steel cutting carbide blade and it performs clean, fast cuts all day long in 2" square tubing and 1.5" angle iron, which is mostly what I cut. I hated abrasive saws--blades deflect and make an unholy mess. The Rage saws produce small metal chips that are a lot easier to clean and a nice, sharp, clean edge. And they are relatively cheap.

Here's the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Power-4-Inch-Multipurpose-Cutting/dp/B00245U9RI/ref=sr_1_fed0_24?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1353362940&sr=1-24&keywords=evolution+power+tools

Paul McGaha
11-19-2012, 6:13 PM
Ted,

I'd suggest a portable bandsaw. This is what we use the most at my work and we install a lot of EMT.

http://www.tools-plus.com/milwaukee-6232-20.html

Adam Neat
11-19-2012, 7:45 PM
Why not a tubing cutter?

Ryan Baker
11-19-2012, 8:46 PM
A tubing cutter works well as long as the wheel is sharp. If the wheel is dull, it will leave a considerably lip on the inside that is a lot of work to ream out. If you are doing a lot of EMT cutting, you are probably better off with some sort of metal cutting chop saw.

Adam Neat
11-19-2012, 8:59 PM
We run a lot of EMT and rigid at my job and we always use a tubing cutter.(Im an electrician) Any saw will leave a ragged edge or bur of some kind. After the tubing cutter use a cosink to clean off the burr, A couple twists and its good to go.... dont want any cut wires

George Carlson
11-19-2012, 10:30 PM
There's a new(ish) replacement for the awful abrasive saws out there--check out the Evolution Rage saws. I have a smallish (7.25") chop saw with their steel cutting carbide blade and it performs clean, fast cuts all day long in 2" square tubing and 1.5" angle iron, which is mostly what I cut. I hated abrasive saws--blades deflect and make an unholy mess. The Rage saws produce small metal chips that are a lot easier to clean and a nice, sharp, clean edge. And they are relatively cheap.

Here's the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Power-4-Inch-Multipurpose-Cutting/dp/B00245U9RI/ref=sr_1_fed0_24?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1353362940&sr=1-24&keywords=evolution+power+tools

I have been using horizontal bandsaws for quite a few years, but I bought one of the Evolution saws from Lowes about a year ago. Now it gets 90% of the work. I have it sitting on my welding table and find it to be much faster and easier to use than the band saw. It cuts angles and tubing cleanly and square. The band saw is still used for large pieces and solids.

Ted Calver
11-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. You got me started in the right direction. I just spent a couple of hours following threads here and on other sites re cutting metal and it looks like Eric's dry cut Evolution Rage is my solution. Adam and Ryan, I really want to be able to cut round and square tubing and angle iron, so the tube cutter is out. Paul, all the reviews said the portable band saw is only as accurate as the operator....which for me means more crooked cuts....unless I want to invest in one of the larger units on a stand which use coolant systems. The only fly in the dry cut ointment seems to be stainless steel. It looks like it requires a different kind of carbide blade than the ferrous metal cutting blade that comes with the Rage, so that would add another expense, but still within budget. Thanks again for the help.

ray hampton
11-20-2012, 3:15 PM
TED, using a tubing cutter will only cut round tubing but it will also make a mark that go around the tube or round pipe so you can use a sweat/hack saw

Dale Sautter
11-22-2012, 10:38 PM
http://www.swagoffroad.com/assets/images/V4%20Portaband%20Table/P8171417-1.jpg

SWAG V4.0 Portaband Table - black powder coated table with zinc plated legs
http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-V40-Portaband-Table_p_63.html

Milwaukee 6232-21 portable band saw
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/saws-corded/corded-band-saws/deep-cut-variable-speed-band-saw-kit/6232-21

pretty much retired my hacksaw with it... haven't cut any stainless with it but am very thankful to have it. Only takes a moment to take out of the table to freehand cut with it too.

ray hampton
11-23-2012, 7:26 PM
why do the saw need to be remove , lay the saw down on its front side, build a short table to hold the pipe up even with the blade

Ted Calver
11-23-2012, 11:47 PM
Dale, That's a nice looking table set up. Choosing a cutting tool is almost as hard as finding a metal supplier that will sell to a DIY'er:)

David G Baker
11-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Ted,
My experience with stainless steel is that a slow speed and a lot of liquid coolant or an abrasive wheel. Stainless hardens when heated and will dull a metal blade or drill bit very quickly.

Keith Outten
12-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Ted,

Try Richman Steel on Route 17 in Newport News, they sell just about any type of steel you need. They are on the opposite side of Route 17 from the Living Museum near Riverside Hospital.

For cutting steel the portable band saw is probably the most versitile machine. An angle grinder with a cutting wheel is the least expensive. A horizontal metal cutting band saw is a great machine to own and a chop saw works well in some cases. I own all of them and I use the one that best suits the job at hand, the one I don't own is a smoke wrench.

Charles McKinley
01-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Smoke wrench won't work on SS. Would have to use Plasma Arc. That is out of the stated budget. Cutting SS I would highly recommend cutting wet. Try even looking for a used Slow speed circular saw with lube. They do make a horizontal cutting attachment for the Milwaukee port o band as well.

Ted Calver
01-04-2013, 11:26 AM
.... the one I don't own is a smoke wrench.
LOL...This will teach me to subscribe to my own threads. Thanks for the tip Keith, and the continued education...."smoke wrench :an oxy-acetylene torch, most often used for welding, brazing or cutting metal.":)

David G Baker
01-04-2013, 8:55 PM
I worked for a company owned by FMC that made ice cream machines out of stainless. Most of it was 304. The guys used a metal cutting bandsaw with the teeth mostly worn off and burned through the metal with the blade. They had a lot of breaks but the saw had a built in welder and they would patch the blade when needed.

Gus Dundon
01-07-2013, 3:38 PM
I got my bandsaw six years ago already. It's a metal cutting band saw and been really helpful to me. I even used to cut exotic alloys for many times. It's really working good.

David G Baker
01-07-2013, 4:30 PM
Gus,
Have you ever tried to cut titanium?

Gus Dundon
01-18-2013, 3:00 PM
Gus,
Have you ever tried to cut titanium?

Yes. I tried cutting titanium. I used haltbar 1002 triple chip blade.

David G Baker
01-18-2013, 5:28 PM
Gus, I just viewed a haltbar 1002 triple chip blade video on Youtube cut 3-1/2 inch round bar of 316 stainless steel in sections. It was awesome. I have worked with 316 in the past and know how difficult it can be but titanium is worse. The blade maker says it will cut titanium. You have made a believer out of me. Thanks for letting me know about the blade.

Gus Dundon
01-21-2013, 2:10 PM
Oh yeah, I remember , I watched the video a week ago. I 've been hearing some machinists before that they're having
some difficulty with the TI too.