PDA

View Full Version : Modify DW735 Planer for 6" Dust Collection

Clark Harbaugh
11-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Has anyone ever modified a DW735 for a 6" dust port? I'm reworking my DC to 6", and this is the only tool, other than the miter saw, that is not easily hacked up. However, it has its own dust collection in it - a small internal blower that forces the chips out. I'm wondering if I even need to worry about this.The added velocity of the internal blower may make up the difference in dropping from 6" to 2.5".

Prashun Patel
11-19-2012, 10:57 AM
It comes ready for a 4" port. I would drop yr 6" down to 4". I in fact use my DW735 without DC. I duct the output into a filter bag, and it actually does a pretty good job.

If you are going to connect it to a DC, I highly suggest you put a preseparator on it.

Paul Stoops
11-19-2012, 1:12 PM
When I have used my DW735 with my DC 6" duct reduced down to 4", I had to put a 4" Y and blast gate in the Y leg to provide sufficient make up air to keep the airflow in the DC ducting to a reasonable level. The stock ducting arrangement, designed for their fan-assisted blower setup, provides a severely restricted outlet for attachment of a DC.

On my list of Round Tuits, I am considering removing the factory-supplied DC ducting, fan, and shroud over the cutter head altogether. I plan to temporarily replace the stock top panel with a plywood panel having a 6" port to fit my DC ducting. I may or may not have to put some sort of duct fitting to guide the chip flow into the duct.

The stock 4" port is a laugh -- it is actually necked down to a 2 1/2" duct if I remember correctly. Also the shroud around the cutter head and the fan are further restrictions. Other folks have reported that hooking up to a DC increases the noise level, apparently producing an effect similar to a siren from the blades passing through the higher velocity airstream flowing thru a reduced area slot.

If successful, I plan to ultimately modify the stock top panel by installing a permanent 6" DC port. I haven't completely thought this modification through yet, so there may be other factors or changes I haven't considered, such as ensuring adequate motor cooling air flow. When I get around to this, I will post pics of the mod, assuming it is successful :)

Jim Neeley
11-19-2012, 1:47 PM
There's a lot of truth to the noise factor. I have an old lunchbox Delta 22-540 with a 4" port I transitioned to 6" and connected it to my Jet 1100B. When I'm going to use it I put on double hearing protection (a pair of "foamies" ear plugs in my ears before donning my headset) to keep my ears from ringing. One thing about it though, there's rarely a spec of sawdust left on the table when the planing is done!

I consider it just part of the "cost of doing business". It's also part of why a Hammer A3-41 is on my wish list! <g>

Joe Angrisani
11-19-2012, 2:04 PM
Have any of you guys with 6"-duct DC systems ever tried cracking another blastgate in the shop to knock down the airflow the internal-fan-planer sees? Maybe that will return sound levels to normal, while still picking up just about everything. "Rarely a spec of sawdust" is nice, but certainly not required.

Paul Stoops
11-19-2012, 2:56 PM
Have any of you guys with 6"-duct DC systems ever tried cracking another blastgate in the shop to knock down the airflow the internal-fan-planer sees? Maybe that will return sound levels to normal, while still picking up just about everything. "Rarely a spec of sawdust" is nice, but certainly not required.

Joe,
The only problem I see with that approach is ensuring that the airflow from the planer to the DC is sufficient to keep the chips and debris suspended to prevent clogging of the duct. When I put the 4" Y/blastgate in my system to provide makeup air, it was right next to the planer so that the 6" main downstream DC duct was carrying maximum airflow.

Paul

Clark Harbaugh
11-19-2012, 3:00 PM
When I have used my DW735 with my DC 6" duct reduced down to 4", I had to put a 4" Y and blast gate in the Y leg to provide sufficient make up air to keep the airflow in the DC ducting to a reasonable level. The stock ducting arrangement, designed for their fan-assisted blower setup, provides a severely restricted outlet for attachment of a DC.

On my list of Round Tuits, I am considering removing the factory-supplied DC ducting, fan, and shroud over the cutter head altogether. I plan to temporarily replace the stock top panel with a plywood panel having a 6" port to fit my DC ducting. I may or may not have to put some sort of duct fitting to guide the chip flow into the duct.

The stock 4" port is a laugh -- it is actually necked down to a 2 1/2" duct if I remember correctly. Also the shroud around the cutter head and the fan are further restrictions. Other folks have reported that hooking up to a DC increases the noise level, apparently producing an effect similar to a siren from the blades passing through the higher velocity airstream flowing thru a reduced area slot.

If successful, I plan to ultimately modify the stock top panel by installing a permanent 6" DC port. I haven't completely thought this modification through yet, so there may be other factors or changes I haven't considered, such as ensuring adequate motor cooling air flow. When I get around to this, I will post pics of the mod, assuming it is successful :)

You're right about the 4" being a laugh, and you do remember correctly that it is in reality a 2 1/2" with further restrictions on the inside. I like your idea of modifying the top, or building a new one. Having the port on the back of the machine has always bugged me. I may borrow (i.e. steal...) your idea on that. That will come after the 6" conversion and the rest of DC mods. I'll post back if I have any luck with it...

Gary Chester
11-19-2012, 4:40 PM
Mine planer is a 733... but here's what I did to connect it to my 6" system... and yea, it's noisy.

Joe Angrisani
11-20-2012, 8:54 AM
The only problem I see with that approach is ensuring that the airflow from the planer to the DC is sufficient to keep the chips and debris suspended to prevent clogging of the duct. When I put the 4" Y/blastgate in my system to provide makeup air, it was right next to the planer so that the 6" main downstream DC duct was carrying maximum airflow.

But on planers like the DW735 with an internal blower, the DC only has to equal the blower. The DC isn't sucking chips off the board. It's only removing chips from the mouth of the planer. In the interest of reducing "jet noise" from the internal blower, maybe removing some unneeded extra suction by opening another blast gate a little will be a solution.

Art Mulder
11-20-2012, 1:48 PM
But on planers like the DW735 with an internal blower, the DC only has to equal the blower. The DC isn't sucking chips off the board. It's only removing chips from the mouth of the planer. In the interest of reducing "jet noise" from the internal blower, maybe removing some unneeded extra suction by opening another blast gate a little will be a solution.

This seems reasonable to me also.

I have this planer, and I have only 4" dust line to my DC. However that blower in the dw735 is enough that if I forget to turn on the dust collector the 735 fan will itself inflate the bag on my DC, from about 17-20ft of pipe away...

Noise may be an issue, but clogging certainly isn't, in my experience.

Joe Angrisani
11-20-2012, 6:27 PM
I'm just thinking out loud, Art. Hangar talk. I don't have a DW735 so I don't know. But maybe you can try a quick test of opening a second 4" blast gate varying amounts and see if it changes the noise and/or affects chip pickup.

I just know I'd want to turn the siren off (or down) if I had one.

Art Mulder
11-21-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm just thinking out loud, Art. Hangar talk. I don't have a DW735 so I don't know. But maybe you can try a quick test of opening a second 4" blast gate varying amounts and see if it changes the noise and/or affects chip pickup.

I just know I'd want to turn the siren off (or down) if I had one.
I don't have a 6" DC line though, Joe. I've got a 2HP single bag DC in the corner, sucking along a 4" line. I've thought about bumping that up to 5-6" but so far there is no need. It sucks up all the Planer and Jointer stuff. The table saw could use improvement, but I'd first need to get a top-mounted pickup like the shark guard or sawstop guard/pickup.