PDA

View Full Version : New base on hollowform disk

Dave Mueller
11-19-2012, 10:11 AM
A while back I showed a walnut hollowform that I didn't like the base. Got lots of good comments from the Creekers and my local club members, so I tried something different. Same size but with a poplar base painted with bumper paint. The walnut is the old one and the maple is the new version. Does the new base help or hurt?

Old
New

Tim Rinehart
11-19-2012, 10:17 AM
The contrast definitely helps. Looks quite good to me. Not 100% sure I would have so much coming up the side, but still works.

Allan Ferguson
11-19-2012, 10:18 AM
I like this one to. Give a slight oriental flare to it.

Bob Rotche
11-19-2012, 10:41 AM
I really like the new base, adds a lot more interest and movement.

Mike Golka
11-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Yup, the new base is definitely more eye catching. I like the way it blends with the curve of the hollow form.

Thom Sturgill
11-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Much better. Shows the entire round shape of the form instead of visually flattening the bottom. The contrast helps define the parts too.

Pat Scott
11-20-2012, 7:47 AM
I like it! Maybe shorten the next one a bit in height?

Bernie Weishapl
11-20-2012, 9:19 AM
I like it also. Great contrast.

Brian Brown
11-20-2012, 9:41 AM
I think the new base is a huge improvement. It highlights the form better than the first. Normally in an artwork, we feel that the eye is drawn to the area of highest contrast, which would highlight the base. In this case, that doesn't appear to be the case so much. My only thought is about the shape of the base. Your pill form is all about graceful curves, that are so smooth, gently rounded and flowing. The when the eye encounters the base, it is so hard and angular. This is a jolt to the eye, and causes a lot of attention to go to the base. Can you round the corners of the base to echo the graceful curves of the pill vase?

Richard Coers
11-20-2012, 10:06 AM
I like it a lot better. Gives me an idea to combine the two a little. Turn a ring with some subtle profile to it, and cut out segments on the band saw for multiple bases from one part. From the picture angle, I think I would consider bringing the wings into just a little finer point at the end. But, when viewed from the side, you may have it just right. Nice change!

Dave Mueller
11-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Guys,
Thanks for all the great comments. I got the same critiques from our local club, especially cutting off the bottom of the disk. It is amazing that so many things become obvious, especially after someone else mentions them - pointy corners, base a little too high. I'm not sure I have another one of these in me, but bases have always been a problem, so the comments will help on future turnings. This is such a great forum because the critiques are always honest and helpful.

Ronald Campbell
11-20-2012, 7:42 PM
Dave I too like the new one. The contrast is nice

Thomas Canfield
11-20-2012, 9:17 PM
The contrast and lift of the new one do catch your eye more, but I still like the original base as well. The original one could be done with a contrasting wood and a little more height for a different visual look.

Steve Schlumpf
11-20-2012, 10:23 PM
I like the new base! The colors of the disk and base work well together. I understand that some do not care for the base to have angular edges... but for me, the contrast with the smooth curve of the disk makes the piece! Also, I like he perspective of the photo... gives the left side of the base a slightly longer look. Having one side of the base an inch or so longer - would offset the curve of the disk and might be a look to consider.

Dave Mueller
11-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Steve, a really cool idea. Unfortunately, my skills are limited to the technical, and do not include the artistic. I depend on critiques like yours to drag me kicking and screaming into the world of artistic endeavors.:D