PDA

View Full Version : A few from this weeked

Kathy Marshall
11-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Nothing special, just a few pieces that I turned this weekend.

Friday night I was looking at a short section of a 5 1/2" diameter sissoo log and decided to turn another endgrain bowl, but leave a bark edge. Sissoo turns great, even on endgrain and it's pretty stable. No cracks or movement so far, and the pith is holding up fine (just a drop of CA before sanding). Another log with no heartwood, so it's pretty bland, but the ease of turning it makes up for it.
Its 5 1/2" x 2" with a coat of antique oil.
Saturday was our club meeting day and this month it was an all day demo with David Ellsworth :D. The demo was great and I picked up a few tips and techniques. One of the pieces David brought for display was an ash hf that had been burned. It looked great and had alot of texture, so when I got home from the demo I cut a piece from a small ash log and turned this hf so I could burn it :eek:. Taking a torch to a perfectly good hf takes a bit of determination!
My propane canister started to run out before I got the lower portion completely done, so it's a little bit lighter. There were also a couple of spots that burned a little to good, maybe I should have just let them burn enough to create a couple of voids. After burning, I sanded it back a bit then added a heavy coat of antique oil (it really sucked it up). I didn't get the texture that David achieved, but it was only after I was done that I realized I hadn't followed his instructions completely. Maybe I'll try another one later.
It's 5 1/2" x 5" finished with antique oil.
Sunday I got out the chainsaw to cut up some blanks and one of them was a big bowl blank of silk oak. The shop floor is now covered in pink shavings, I wish silk oak would hold the pink color it has when it's fresh cut.
It's 12 1/2" x 4" finished in walnut oil.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Doug W Swanson
11-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Nice work, Kathy. The sissoo bowl is pretty cool but the are all good.

mike ash
11-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Neat looking bowls Kathy!!! I anxious to see some of this work in person, as I've been thinking about doing some of this on a few of my bowls.

Mike

Gary Sichmeller
11-19-2012, 9:00 AM
Nice pieces Kathy. I really like the looks of the sisso.

("I didn't get the texture that David achieved, but it was only after I was done that I realized I hadn't followed his instructions completely.")

What part of David's instructions did you forget? And what was the texture on the ash forms you were trying to achieve?

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2012, 9:38 AM
Great pieces Kathy. Looks like you had a great weekend.

Ken Glass
11-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Kathy,
I love your understatement with words: (Nothing special, just a few pieces that I turned this weekend.) All are 1st. Class. Nice work.

Kathy Marshall
11-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Nice work, Kathy. The sissoo bowl is pretty cool but the are all good.
Thanks Doug! I got lucky that the log was actually pretty round and the pith was centered. Just trying for something a little different.

Neat looking bowls Kathy!!! I anxious to see some of this work in person, as I've been thinking about doing some of this on a few of my bowls.

Mike
Thanks Mike! So what did you think? :eek:

Nice pieces Kathy. I really like the looks of the sisso.

("I didn't get the texture that David achieved, but it was only after I was done that I realized I hadn't followed his instructions completely.")

What part of David's instructions did you forget? And what was the texture on the ash forms you were trying to achieve?
Thanks Gary! I love turning sissoo and it's even better when there's some heartwood. As far as the texturing, David didn't sand his back. If I remember correctly, he burns the piece then gives it several coats of tung oil and lets it dry to form a crust, then he uses a stitched buffing wheel (not the floppy wheels like the Beale buffers) and brown tripoli (coarser than the red) to buff and polish. I'm guessing the coarser tripoli cuts through the tung oil and takes down the softer winter rings while leaving the summer rings. His piece was polished very smooth, but the winter rings were probably 1/16" or so below the level of the summer rings. I should have taken some pictures.

Great pieces Kathy. Looks like you had a great weekend.
Thanks Bernie!

Kathy,
I love your understatement with words: (Nothing special, just a few pieces that I turned this weekend.) All are 1st. Class. Nice work.
Thanks Ken!

Denny Rice
11-19-2012, 11:03 PM
The Sissoo is my favorite by far. I love the natural edge on the bowl, and the pith in the center just gives it just that much more "character". Great stuff.

Jon Prouty
11-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Thanks Doug! I got lucky that the log was actually pretty round and the pith was centered. Just trying for something a little different.

Thanks Mike! So what did you think? :eek:

Thanks Gary! I love turning sissoo and it's even better when there's some heartwood. As far as the texturing, David didn't sand his back. If I remember correctly, he burns the piece then gives it several coats of tung oil and lets it dry to form a crust, then he uses a stitched buffing wheel (not the floppy wheels like the Beale buffers) and brown tripoli (coarser than the red) to buff and polish. I'm guessing the coarser tripoli cuts through the tung oil and takes down the softer winter rings while leaving the summer rings. His piece was polished very smooth, but the winter rings were probably 1/16" or so below the level of the summer rings. I should have taken some pictures.

Thanks Bernie!

Thanks Ken!

Hi Kathy,

I think David said he typically uses Waterlox rather than pure tung oil. On that burned ash piece I think he said there was no finish on it other than the buffing after the burn. My brain was pretty toast by the afternoon so I may have misremembered. :)

Nice pieces by the way!

Jon

Tim Rinehart
11-20-2012, 7:17 AM
Wonderful pieces Kathy. I'm seeing more and more folks using real pyro work, and its kind of intriguing. I'll be sure to have a full tank of gas when I try. Would love seeing David sometime as well. Great job!