PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen sink tip out tray installation blues (rant)

scott vroom
11-18-2012, 4:56 PM
I'm trying to install a rev-a-shelf tip out tray on an existing kitchen sink base cab...#@*&%. I'm more frustrated than a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest. Have any of you guys tried to install these into an already built kitchen, where the sink is in place? It's darn near impossible. I'm to the point of throwing away the hardware and affixing the slabs directly to the cab FF. I'm thinking the rev-a-shelf engineers have an on-going bet to see who can cause customers to bleed from their ears the quickest.

First they tell you to install the hinges to the face frame....then they tell you to screw the slab front to the hinges, which of course is impossible because of the angle and the presence of the sink basin. So the only way to get the slabs onto the hinges is to remove the hinges from the FF and install onto the slab. Of course doing this removes ANY chance of getting the hinges screwed back to the FF and have the slabs squared up over the opening. A poor design IMO. I will never buy from rev-a-shelf again.....over priced and poorly engineered.

joe milana
11-18-2012, 5:59 PM
Yep...been there...It's been a few years, but I rember the frustration, expanded vocabulary, etc. I ended up using a blum clip on face frame hinge for inset doors. Can't remember which one, but I remember having to cut part of it off with an angle grinder to get it to fit because the sink was too close. I had to use one of those mini right angle drill attachments to drill pilot holes, which was frustrating as well, and ended up in the trash when done. A mini ratchet to tighten the hex head screws I used to secure the hinges to the back of the face frame. I used a chain & screw eyes to limit the opening, which I thought was cheesy at best, but it worked. I used stainless steel trays...that was the easy part. The whole project sucked, but the customer understood the "retro-fit" and is thrilled with the result.

Kurt Cady
11-18-2012, 6:10 PM
Can you try one of those bendable drill extension things?

Zach Callum
11-18-2012, 6:40 PM
Not everything from rev-a-shelf is over priced and poorly engineered. You are right about the tip out hardware though.

scott vroom
11-18-2012, 6:41 PM
Can you try one of those bendable drill extension things?

No, but I am considering one of those rigid sticks of explosive with a bendable fuse :mad:

Alan Bienlein
11-18-2012, 6:55 PM
Can't stand those tilt out trays! Thats why when I did my kitchen I did this.

Sam Murdoch
11-18-2012, 7:39 PM
Can't stand those tilt out trays! Thats why when I did my kitchen I did this.

There you go Scott. Nice Alan. I am not a fan of Rev A Shelf - have been nearly homicidal more than a couple of times trying to make their stuff as good as my stuff. I share your frustration Scott. As for tip outs in general - toss it - bad idea from the get go as it is just a place for mold and bacteria to grow and expand its reach on your home.

Jim Andrew
11-18-2012, 7:51 PM
Last time I installed the ff trays, I used concealed hinges, which you drill in, and just used the cheapie false front trays which I screwed onto the false front with the hinges in place. Does that make sense?

zayd alle
11-18-2012, 8:50 PM
Scott,

I just did one of these with the same hardware and my sink was also in. I installed them on the door/front first, then the face frame. It took all of ten minutes total. This is one of the those times that you ignore the instructions.

If for some reason you must do it the other way around, screw the adjusters all the way out to allow the hinges to drop as far as possible. That might allow them to tilt far enough to clear the sink and counter.

Bill Huber
11-18-2012, 8:53 PM
I like the one that Alan did, that is really neat.

I got some tip outs from Rockler and after getting the the first one in and saying a few words I can not say here, the wife didn't like it so I never put the other one in,now I did use it.