PDA

View Full Version : Front door, and door jamb finished

Sam Layton
11-17-2012, 7:16 PM
Just finished and hung my new front door. The door is red oak, and is 2 1/4" thick. The stiles and rails are laminated with 3 boards each for stability. The joinery is all loose tenons. The panels are two 3/4" panels, placed back to back, and allowed to float. The jamb is approximately 1 1/8" thick with 4, 4 1/2" ball bearing hinges. The lock is a mortise lock. I had the stain glass made at a local stain glass shop.

The door is very heavy. My wife helped me during construction, and glue up. She also helped me install the jamb, and hang the door.

I used a reverse glue joint cutter in my shaper to mill the boards for the panels. This is the first time that I have used a reverse glue joint cutter. After fine tuning the cutter in the shaper, it did a great job. The panels glued up flat. I am finished with biscuits for panels. The reverse glue joint cutter works much better for me.

Thanks for looking, Sam

Gordon Eyre
11-17-2012, 7:25 PM
Very nice work and a door to be proud of.

zayd alle
11-17-2012, 7:57 PM
Great look and nice grain selection.

John TenEyck
11-17-2012, 8:02 PM
Beautiful door. What did you finish it with? Will it see direct sun and/or rain?

John

Paul Murphy
11-17-2012, 8:45 PM
That's a lovely door, and impressive workmanship.

Sam Layton
11-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

John, I sanded to 150 grit, and used General Finishes oil base stain, and General Finishes water base Exterior 450 for the topcoat. I like General Finishes products. They work really well, and they are available in Calif. The door is under a large porch, and does not see rain nor sun.

Sam

Sam Murdoch
11-18-2012, 1:39 PM
Yes indeed, very nice. Makes you smile every time you walk up to it doesn't it? Good job.

Dan Friedrichs
11-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Wow - fantastic door and fantastic trim work.

Sam Layton
11-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Thank you guys for your nice comments.

Sam, you are correct, it does make me smile every time I walk up to it. It is very heavy and solid, but swings with the lightest touch.

Sam

John TenEyck
11-20-2012, 3:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback Sam. That kind of seals the deal to use GF 450 when I make my new front door next year.

John

Sam Layton
11-21-2012, 10:36 AM
John,

The GF oil base stain is very good as well. When using it, you just have to make sure it is completely dry before applying the water base top coat. I think I let it dry about 4 or 5 days, just to make sure it was good and dry.

I sprayed the door with the GF Exterior 450. It is easy to spray, levels out, and looks great. I think I sprayed three coats, and sanded with 350/400 grit between coats. I brushed the door jamb. When brushing, keep a wet edge, and it dries looking like it was sprayed, no brush marks at all. So, the jamb looks like it was sprayed. I was extremely happy with the results.

I called GF and talked to them about the Exterior 450. They said to let the oil base stain dry good, which I knew. They also said not to use any sanding sealer, shellac, etc prior to the 450. Just the stain, and Exterior 450. I was very happy with the results.

Sam