PDA

View Full Version : Rockler Reward Coupons

James Mudler
04-22-2005, 9:53 AM
Hello,

I am needing to add credit card to my stable for expensing items. I noticed Rockler has a "rewards" credit card. Anyone have one? I am not sure if a Reward Coupon is the sames as cash. I would very rarely carry a balance.

I am remoding a older house I just moved into and setting up shop in my basement. There are so many things I need and any coupons are welcomed :D

Jeff Sudmeier
04-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Most of they times, these rewards are money off of merchandise purchases. They normally are not cash that you receive back. You can find credit cards with a rebate at the end of the year.

You will still receive the reward, even if you don't carry a balance.

The contractor that built our house has a Cabelas credit card with a HUGE limit. He buys EVERYTHING on it and then pays it off right away. Last year he got a free 4-Wheeler with the rewards he had earned.

Jim Becker
04-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Affinity cards (those associated with a specific merchant but carry a VISA or MC label) often carry higher interest rates (and even fees/membership cost) than others available direct from the banks. Those things could affect you if you are not able to pay off the balance each month. I'd advise you to carefully shop for your credit card and don't just look at the interest rate. Pay very careful attention to their fee policy and their rate escallation policy should you even accidentally make a late payment...some cards jump up to major interest rates with just one day over and that can seriously hurt you if there is any balance and may affect your credit rating.

In some cases, there are real benefits to particular cards beyond basic paying for things...I'm a major AMEX user due to my constant travel and do take advantage of their rewards program which gets back what I pay for the card each year when I use the points. Dr. SWMBO, on the other hand, chose a cash-back version of their Blue card (no fees) as that better suited her needs. Neither of us ever carries a balance, although we can if need be with the Blue cards or our personal VISA cards from our bank. (low rate/no fee)

The bottom line...just as you carefully shop for tools, cars, etc., do so with credit cards. It's too easy to get burned these days...

John M. Cioffi
04-22-2005, 12:34 PM
James,

The Rockler card has rewards you earn as you use your card to make purchases. It is a VISA account with MBNA & is a genuine visa account.
For every purchase made at a Rockler store, on-line or mail order, you receive 4 points for every dollar spent. Every purchase made outside of rockler earns you 1 point for every dollar spent. The rewards are an actual cash coupon - redeemable only at Rockler. You cannot spend it anywhere else,except on-line or at a store.Just for openning an account, you receive 1000 points. Every 2000 points earned, nets you a $20 Rockler rewards coupon. So far, in the last year, I've redeemed 6 coupons.; and just now am due for another. PLEASE NOTE:my VISA balance is $0.00!!!! I purchase gas for our vehicles, ect.ect. all month & then pay the bill as soon as it arrives.
If you can do that, it is worth it's weight in GOLD.
John..... still buying tools.:D :D :D

James Mudler
04-22-2005, 2:55 PM
James,

The Rockler card has rewards you earn as you use your card to make purchases. It is a VISA account with MBNA & is a genuine visa account.
For every purchase made at a Rockler store, on-line or mail order, you receive 4 points for every dollar spent. Every purchase made outside of rockler earns you 1 point for every dollar spent. The rewards are an actual cash coupon - redeemable only at Rockler. You cannot spend it anywhere else,except on-line or at a store.Just for openning an account, you receive 1000 points. Every 2000 points earned, nets you a $20 Rockler rewards coupon. So far, in the last year, I've redeemed 6 coupons.; and just now am due for another. PLEASE NOTE:my VISA balance is $0.00!!!! I purchase gas for our vehicles, ect.ect. all month & then pay the bill as soon as it arrives.
If you can do that, it is worth it's weight in GOLD.
John..... still buying tools.:D :D :D

Thanks for the replys everyone. John your model is exactly what I am planning to do. Rockler in Birmingham is relatively close or I can order online, so a Rockler only program is not a big deal to me. Just trying to save a nickel on some tools/ww items. P.S. I would not carry a balance and did not see a annual fee.

Everyone have a great weekend.

Dave Carey
04-25-2005, 4:21 PM
James,
Don't know if you've made up your mind yet or not, but I started using an Amazon Visa some time ago. Rather than accumulate more airline miles that I'll probably never use, Amazon - like Rockler - gives you gift certificates. One point for every dollar spent; two points for dollars spent on Amazon and spent for gas and a few other items. Every 2500 points yields a $25 gift certificate. Because of all the connections with Amazon these days it gives me all sorts of places to buy tools (for free of course inasmuch as I'm using certificates!) Dave