PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Presents

Gordon Eyre
11-17-2012, 4:46 PM
As I have mentioned before I have a large family and so coming up with a Christmas present for each of my kids (11) becomes a major undertaking. By the way, all of my kids are married and have families of their own and so for the last several years I have made a woodworking project for them. My wife starts reminding me in July that I need to come up with a project for the current year. I kept it simple this year but yet tried to make it classy and with my own touch. We have had a napkin holder on our kitchen table for years that is nothing special and that was made out of oak with rounded edges. It hit me one day that I could go that one better and so here is my family gift for 2012 (comments are always appreciated):

The project is unfinished at this time and I will probably use a clear Polycrylic or varnish finish to preserve the contrast between the hard maple and the walnut.

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/147370897/original.jpg

The project is simple but when you are making 11 of them nothing is simple. Also, where I live I could not find any finished maple so I went with rough sawn boards and dimensioned them myself.

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/147370898/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/147370899/original.jpg

You will note the 3/4" indention where I will put a 2012 penny as soon as I can find 11 of them.

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/147370900/original.jpg

Sam Layton
11-18-2012, 1:07 PM
Hi Gordon,

Wow, 11 kids... Your napkin holders really look great. I like the combination of walnut and maple.

Sam

glenn bradley
11-18-2012, 1:35 PM
Those look great Gordon. I would pre-finish those if they haven't been glued up yet. I often finish parts before assembly to make life easier.

Gordon Eyre
11-18-2012, 2:23 PM
Hi Gordon,

Wow, 11 kids... Your napkin holders really look great. I like the combination of walnut and maple.

Sam

Thanks for you nice comment and for taking the time to make it Sam.

Those look great Gordon. I would pre-finish those if they haven't been glued up yet. I often finish parts before assembly to make life easier.

Thanks a bunch Glenn. Your right about pre-finishing them but I could not figure out how to drill the screw holes properly without using glue to tack the uprights into place. After tacking the upright with glue I could then turn them over and tack them with a pinner. I had pre-drilled the holes in the base but the uprights would have been problematic without tacking them into place first. I will probably use a wipe on varnish to finish them with and I have gotten pretty good at that without causing a mess.

Chris Ambroson
12-31-2012, 8:22 PM
Clamp the two vertical pieces together with a spacer in between. Then clamp the whole thing upside down to your bench. You could pre-drill the holes that way. There would be a lot of clamps in the way but fairly easy to work around. Once the holes are drilled, finish and assemble.

gary Zimmel
12-31-2012, 9:53 PM
Now that was a production line....
Nice work Gordon. I'm sure the holders were well received.

Brad Cambell
12-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Gordon, I know what you mean by making multiple gifts turning into a lot of work. I finished my wood shop just in time to make 4 presents for mothers and grand mothers. They treasure them so much more than a gift bought from a store. My mom had tears in her eyes.
Your napkin holders are beautiful. I love the walnut and maple contrast.

Floyd Cox
01-01-2013, 8:25 AM
Nice work Gordon, I'm sure you had a happy crowd, with those quality gifts.

Gordon Eyre
01-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Clamp the two vertical pieces together with a spacer in between. Then clamp the whole thing upside down to your bench. You could pre-drill the holes that way. There would be a lot of clamps in the way but fairly easy to work around. Once the holes are drilled, finish and assemble.

Good suggestion, why didn't I think of that.

Thanks guys for the nice complments and yes, my kids all loved this gift.

Shawn Pixley
01-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Very nice work! A brilliant idea for gifts.