PDA

View Full Version : Researching benchtop ocilating spindle samders

Larry Browning
11-17-2012, 12:45 PM
I had about decided on the Jet 708404 JBOS-5 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005A3GW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1FE439XDC3EAHCCSKPQ9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846) when I noticed that Delta had a new model, 31-483 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081BFLF4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1FE439XDC3EAHCCSKPQ9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846).
Has anyone had any experience with the Delta? I can't find any reviews. And there is some confusion as to whether it has a tilting table or arbor.
Any info or opinions are welcome.

Thanks

Myk Rian
11-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Does the Delta have a 1/4" spindle?
That might make the decision easier.
The table does tilt on the Delta.

Bruce Page
11-17-2012, 1:38 PM
According to the Amazon listing it has 1/4, 1/2, 5/8, 1-1/2, & 2” spindles. It’s an interesting machine. I have been happy with my Delta BOSS but there have been a few times that I wished for a 1/4” spindle and a tilting table.

I have no idea on the new Delta’s long term quality. The Jet has been around a long time with pretty good reviews.

Bill Huber
11-17-2012, 1:45 PM
Larry, have you looked at the Ridgid 4424?
I have had one now for about 5 years and it gets use a lot and I love it. I use the belt more then the spindle but the spindle works great.

Larry Browning
11-17-2012, 2:38 PM
Larry, have you looked at the Ridgid 4424?
I have had one now for about 5 years and it gets use a lot and I love it. I use the belt more then the spindle but the spindle works great.

Yeah, I have looked at that model. I like the idea of a cast iron table, Plus, the one in the store seemed to have quite a bit of deflection at the spindle. I think I want something a little more heavy duty. Seems to me the extra 100 - 150 you spend on these other models is worth it.

Larry Browning
11-17-2012, 2:47 PM
Does the Delta have a 1/4" spindle?
That might make the decision easier.
The table does tilt on the Delta.

Looks like both the Jet and the Delta come with a 1/4 spindle. The Jet has an optional 3" spindle though. From looking at it, the Delta seems to be a bit shorter from the base to the table, but I really didn't find that measurement in any of the specs on either one.

Myk, have you actually seen one to verify the tilting table? The literature seems to contradict itself. However, the picture does seem to favor the tilting table.

Dick Mahany
11-17-2012, 2:49 PM
I can't comment on the Delta but I have owned the Jet for about 8 years. It's been a great machine and suprisingly heavy duty for a bench top machine.

Larry Browning
11-26-2012, 1:26 PM
I just noticed Amazon has just dropped the price of the Jet to $407. Hmm. Might have to pull the trigger on this one.

Rick Potter
11-26-2012, 2:11 PM
Larry,

I had a Delta BOSS for years, found a deal on a Jet floor model, and that was the only reason I sold the Delta. The one think I disliked about the BOSS was that when using the smaller spindles it was difficult to keep the sanding drum tight, just not enough rubber to flex and hold it.

I notice the new one has interchangeable spindles, like the Jet. Big improvement. They use set screws to hold the drum on the smaller spindles. I assume this is one of the first tools from the 'New Delta' (?). Looks like a winner. On the other hand, the Jet is a great tool also. I think you will be happy with either.

Rick Potter

HANK METZ
11-27-2012, 8:26 AM
Larry,

I had a Delta BOSS for years, found a deal on a Jet floor model, and that was the only reason I sold the Delta. The one think I disliked about the BOSS was that when using the smaller spindles it was difficult to keep the sanding drum tight, just not enough rubber to flex and hold it...

Rick Potter

I seem to recall a workaround for that was to layer duct tape to build the rubber mandrel up enough to get a tight fit after compressing the rubber.
Moot point now for you of course.:rolleyes: