PDA

View Full Version : SW pro classic, is ok without primer?

Matthew Chamberlin
11-17-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm painting, SWMBO wanted it white, a Wallbed that I just made out of maple ply and poplar. The local Sherman Williams store clerk recommended Pro Classic and told me I didn't need primer. I've already put two coats on the cabinet pieces and I'm a little worried, because it looks like everyone on Saw Mill Creek uses primer with SW pro classic. Should I sand it down and start over? Or am I just worrying about nothing?

*Edit* I'm rolling and brushing if it makes a difference.

John TenEyck
11-17-2012, 2:16 PM
I don't think it matters from an adhesion standpoint Matt. I used SW's primer when I painted some maple and ply cabinets because it's easier to sand the primer than it is the Pro Classic topcoat, and painted furniture always shows defects that need to be filled compared to clearcoats, at least for me. If you're happy with how it's looking then don't sweat it, it will be fine IMO.

John

Matthew Chamberlin
11-18-2012, 1:57 AM
Thank you for the reassurance. I'mreally glad I don't have to start over. Next time I'll use primer,but over all I'm happy with how it's turning out.

Edward Dyas
11-18-2012, 5:05 AM
Primes just have a lot of fillers in them so they would just cover the wood faster. They are also sandable so if you sand between coats you can build a smoother substrate to topcoat over. If you were happy using the paint without primer there is no reason you have to use it.

Jim Becker
11-19-2012, 6:59 PM
I did use primer when covering old paint with the ProClassic, but wouldn't be uncomfortable putting it directly on bare wood otherwise if the surface was prepared correctly.

Rich Engelhardt
11-20-2012, 3:57 PM
I use primer - but - only because that's how I was brought up.
Top coats from years gone by needed a primer for uniform standout and for adhesion.

Today's finishes are a far cry from those of the past though and the use of a primer these days seems to be optional or limited to special circumstances such as stain killing/blocking.

35 years ago I'd have never said this - but - I believe you'll be fine.