PDA

View Full Version : Billiard #2 with handcut stem

Rick Markham
11-17-2012, 11:15 AM
So this is number 2 :) It is leaps and bounds better than the first. This one is dyed using transtint dyes and a variation of my dyeing process (It's enhanced, as opposed to the bold bright color work) This one is now in the hands of a friend who is a pipe smoker for testing :) I will admit this is fun! (final last words down another slippery slope :eek:)

Hand cut stem, hemispherical tobacco chamber 3/4" in diameter. Finish is Renwax.
African Blackwood tamper with scoop

Thanks for looking C&C always welcome and appreciated!

Dick Mahany
11-17-2012, 11:36 AM
This is absolutely stunning ! The combination of beautiful wood along with the incredible form and color are gorgeous. Looks like it was painstaking to make so well. Nice work.

Doug W Swanson
11-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Beautiful! It almost make me want to start smoking a pipe!

Bob Rotche
11-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Can't imagine how it could be done any better. Nice work!

Jim Burr
11-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Can I pick your brain Rick? I'm sure Scott will be right behind me with this...What part do you turn and what parts are carved? WHat stem material are you using? Since some are acrylic, I was thinking of making a mold and pouring a stem. WHat do you think of some of the kits out there?
Oh yeah...just beautiful!!! The scoop and tamper is way to cool!!

Roger Chandler
11-17-2012, 1:59 PM
While I am not a smoker, and do not advocate anyone starting the habit, I do greatly admire the fine craftsmanship of Rick on this and the fact it is a very functional item. Super job on this Rick......your color scheme is very well done, and your burl figured wood just adds to the beauty. The tamper with scoop is such a neat item as well......just really nice......congratulations!

Scott Hackler
11-17-2012, 2:08 PM
Rick.....you stink! Lol. Not really, but this is so nice and knowing a bit of what it takes to make one.....well envy comes to mind! Fantastic job.

Rick Markham
11-17-2012, 3:20 PM
Scott, thanks! I wouldn't be too envious, I have a feeling your second one will surprise you too. (This one surprised me) I'm interested to see how the foredom carver serves you in this, I can see it being useful for some of the final shaping around the shank bowl junction. I've been cleaning that area up with a sawmaker's rasp.

Roger, I don't smoke, nor do I wish anyone to start. However, I do appreciate these guys' art and have "the bug" to participate.

Jim, the stem is Acetal rod. (It's not the best for this purpose, according to some) ebonite is the premo stem material, however acrylic is the second most popular. I would also like to pick your brain regarding the casting. I would be interested in casting my own stem blanks. I'm particularly interested in knowing if Alumalite is a type of acrylic, and would like to know if it's bendable. Maybe you or someone knows? (Alan Trout?)

Here's some process pics. Sorry I don't have one with before any stem shaping was done removed from the lathe, but I did take one with the stem attached before I removed the stummel from the chuck (Actually this is the first pipe in the first pic), the lathe work is finished at this point. Obviously you wouldn't have the stem attached and run the lathe in this position ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/003-7.jpg

The rest I have cut the stem to shape, leaving the button (the knob on the end of the stem) for last It's the last thing you finish ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/007-9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/008-6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/007-9.jpg

Final shaping of stummel and stem done, only the button is left (The part my fingers are holding will become the button at the end of the stem) All that's left is finishing and buffing after that :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/018-5.jpg

Jim Burr
11-17-2012, 4:50 PM
Great pics of the process!!! How to proceed after the last pic? Dremel, file, sanding? Alumilite is a urethane resin. May not be suitable as it doesn't handle heat well. I'm brainstorming a way to make a mold, pouring with PR, with a wire built in...I think this merits a further look see!

Timothy Mann
11-17-2012, 7:37 PM
That is beautiful, well done with that.

Michelle Rich
11-18-2012, 7:21 AM
splendid pipe..very handsome

Fred Belknap
11-18-2012, 9:08 AM
Rick I like how you did the pipe and I like how you put your name on the side. How did you do that.

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2012, 9:23 AM
Beautiful Rick and well done. Thanks for sharing.

Peter Blair
11-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Sooo nice Rick. I used to be a pipe smoker and during that period I would have loved to try one of yours. By the way with this interest does the Kobra now just sit on a shelf?

Norm Zax
11-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Good job Rick! Well done. Ive also looked at pipe making and watched a few dozen on youtube. Strangley, 80% of the masters do not use a lathe but shape by hand, using perhaps some type of sander with coarse grain. Shapes go from "Id like to fondle that" to "what creativity!" and there seems there's an endless list of designs. Can I ask where you get your wood, if you buy at a pipe supplier's site what size do you choose and finally how is that shiny finish achieved? (note: there is much discussion among pipe producers on the contribution of the finish to the taste achieved later on).
Thanks!
Norm

Mike Cruz
11-18-2012, 1:04 PM
Rick, great job! I got an itch to make some pipes way back some years. My dad was a pipe smoker. I did them completely by hand...no lathe. I did about 4, then it lost its "new". Haven't done one since. Now, that said, mine never came out anywhere NEAR as nice as this! Maybe I'd have made more if they did...

Mark Hubl
11-18-2012, 5:06 PM
Cool Rick, that is very nice looking. Thanks for the how too picks as well. Looks good enough to smoke!

Tim Rinehart
11-18-2012, 5:29 PM
A most handsome pipe indeed!